2-Column Startpage and an Elastic Wiki

2-Column Startpage and an Elastic Wiki

by Urs Hunkler -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Core developers

Hi everybody,

_ 2-Column Page
in this 2-column startpage the underlying 3-column layouttable simply "looses" it's right column by hiding it with CSS.

_ Reading on Screen
65 characters per line are much better readable on screen than the about 120 chars/line and more you get in a standard wiki page.
Proposal
- You can make the column smaler.
Objection - In a smaller column the amount of char/line decreases rapidly when you enlarge the font size.
Solution - What about letting the width of the column grow
corresponding to the growth of font size? The length of the line will stay about the same.
Can i try it? - Please have a look here.

_ Change of the Block Switch
The first approach of the block switch disabled the icons within editing mode sad. Now you switch only via the cross-icon. I think this solution is not too bad.

I'm very interested in your opinions.
Urs

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Urs Hunkler

Re: 2-Column Startpage and an Elastic Wiki

by Paul Evans -
Hi Urs,

I did try scrolling my mouse wheel in both konqi and firefox -- very nice!! I was suprised by the power the effect had on me.

Any more writings on this by you or others?

I have stuffed mambo/bb/moodle/phpshop together and am working on making them all look nice with one another. Graphic arts are not my forte. at all. sad

I would like to end up with a 2 col moodle to show in mambo. I will just brute strength it, but I'd like to know about your css approach ,so that the moodle site could remain the same at 3 cols.

Please enlighten me when/if you have the time.

Regards, Paul Evans
In reply to Paul Evans

by Mark Little -
Nice design..

We also want to turn off the three colums and only have two.

What files did you change to do this?
In reply to Mark Little

by Ger Tielemans -

You can do this in the config.php, so everey new course get these as default settings for example:

$CFG->defaultblocks = "participants, admin, news_items, calendar_upcoming, recent_activity";

(after the ; you normally place the blocks for the right column. A teacher can add the right column again if he likes that)