New Bug Tracker

New Bug Tracker

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 16
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The current bug tracker sucks. It's not integrated with the discussion in these forums, and has all kinds of other problems that make it hard for people to use.

Here are some initial ideas on something new to replace it.  The following text is taken from an old posting I did, and also relates to bug 169.  Let's flesh this out with some interface ideas and mockups.

The idea is to build something that not only works for moodle.org, but is also generically useful for people who want to categorise and sort discussions of all types in an educational context.

Think of the interface as the current forum interface with a few extra things added. This means we can take advantage of all the great things we have in forums already like HTML editor, filters, multimedia, attachments etc etc.

Here on moodle.org I would keep a number of forums, one per Moodle module (as now). So we'll have one forum for Assignment bugs/issues, one forum for Wiki bugs /issues, etc.

Each forum can have a number of classification Scales applied. For moodle.org we don't need all the ones that the current bug tracker provides. I think the following will be enough to make a useful working environment and reduce confusion:

Found in: 1.3, 1.3.1, 1.4, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2 ...
Fixed in: 1.3, 1.3.1, 1.4, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2 ...
Type: Minor problem, Major problem, Minor Feature, Major Feature
Status: New, Not needed, Under discussion, Being worked on, Needs testing, Finished

Now imagine the following changes to the current forum interface:

1) The discussion view will have these additions:
  • a menu or button so that teachers can change the current "moderator" of that discussion. This will be very useful in educational environments. To reduce admin load there can be an auto-setting per forum that makes the person who started the discussion into the default moderator.
  • the classification scales appearing as menus along the top. This can be changed by moderators+teachers only or by everyone (depending on a forum setting).
  • a button for subscription/unsubscription to the current discussion

2) The forum view will be improved with the following additions:
  • Each discussion row contains the above classification columns, the moderator name and also the total ratings for the forum (in addition to the ones that we have already like date, replies etc). The ratings column could be used like votes.
  • The titles of each column are clickable so that you can sort by any column, ascending and descending.
  • A search form at the top of the forum display lets you restrict the displayed discussion to any subset of the classifications (eg Show me all the "major problems" that are "new", or, show me all the "major features" being moderated by "Martin Dougiamas")

Finally, a usage scenario. Imagine someone posts a post somewhere in a discussion with a good idea about the forums (eg this post wink). I can then:
  • split that post into a new discussion
  • move the new discussion into the Forum forum
  • Classify it as "Major Feature", "Under discussion" for version "2.0".
  • Assign myself or someone else as the moderator (person responsible for taking care of it).

If this existed, things could be sooo beautifully organised around here. tongueout
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: New Bug Tracker

by Brian Koontz -
Martin, can you provide an usage example or two involving the sorting of something in an educational context?  I'm just trying to wrap myself around your idea. 

Also, the term "classification scale" -- are we talking about enumerated items, basically?  Something that would be site-configurable, both in terms of labels and enumerated values?

--Brian
In reply to Brian Koontz

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The scales are the same ones used for forum ratings, assignment grading, etc under Course Admin -> Scales.

This would be useful anywhere you want to track or categorise different ongoing discussions. As well as a generic helpdesk, FAQ or knowledgebase, it could be used to track feedback on individual projects (eg designing a web site). It would also solve a number of other things people have been wanting like "sticky discussions", "moderators" etc.

There are some overlaps in this with the Data module and it's possible that it might be better to work on that as a base instead, I'm not sure - I'm looking forward to seeing Teemu's latest.

by Ger Tielemans -

And a kind of cleaning mechanism: When you build the FAQ file - for example in a "BOOK of symptoms"  you could condens (and remove) long threads into a compact question/solution combination.

(I saw today again the "header already sent" question: how long will old users be willing to answer that question again and again? Or is that part of the Moodle romantic?)  

In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Intuitively, basing a new bug tracker on the forum module is very attractive--forums create the vast base of data of a site in very loose form. If there is a mechanism to take a loose, open forum topic and transform it (clean or condense as Ger says), that would be extremely powerful.

The bug tracker currently has several functions:
- collecting and classifying problems and feature requests
- managing workflow (assigning responsibility, opening/closing a bug)
- discussions added on

A new bug tracker with a forum base would need to include those functions as well, but instead of discussions added on, the "bug" would *start* as a discussion.

by Gustav W Delius -
The beauty of this proposal is that it can be implemented step-by-step. Each of the features that you propose (subscription to individual discussions, categorization, moderation, sorting, advanced searching and filtering) by itself represents a very desirable enhancement of the forum module and they can be implemented independently. The fact that at the end of it we can also use the forum module as a very convenient bug tracker provides an extra bit of motivation.

by Martín Langhoff -
+1!

Meta-tagging of threads sounds like an excellent idea! Having used gmail for a while, I think that it'd be interesting to be able to have "labels" as well as fields with a range of values.

cheers!

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Martin -

Has anyone started working on this project?

It is similar to some work I've begun on the forums as well (actually, almost identical). If anyone's started. I'd like to keep up with the changes.

mike
In reply to Mike Churchward

by Martin Dougiamas -
Mike, no-one's started on this plan to extend forums with meta-tagging, but I would really like to see it getting started (I think this every time I use the current bug tracker. smile)

The important thing is to keep it focussed on organising discussions (as described above) and resist the temptation to turn Forum into the Database module.  wink

Do you want to take this on and own it with a Moodle 1.6 target? I'll even try and organise some funding for it (if people want to help with that side let me know!).

by Mike Churchward -
Hi Martin -

This is convenient, because I was just going to bring this up again. This task is just about at the top of my list again, and it would be a good time to start.

Its interesting that you brought up the database module. I just started to implement an integrated gallery to Moodle. At first, it seemed that the forum module was ideal for this. Then I got pointed to the glossary module, and discovered that it was more appropriate it many ways, but not all. And then there's this database module...

I think we may want to start by figuring out what the differences and similarities are between these modules, and what function each is trying to provide that the others don't.

My perspective is that Moodle is all about collaboration. Forums should be (and really are) the main supporting structure of the application. Unfortunately, in some ways, the current implementation falls short. I think they need to be more tightly integrated, with their own API, that can be easily utilized by any other Moodle activity.

Anyway, it appears that I've gone further than answering 'yes'. How do you think we should start this?

mike

by Jeff Graham -
Hi Mike,

Have you started modifying the forums module to include metadata for posts, or are you working on a different solution to your problem?

There are some other features mentioned in other threads that should be implemented as well. Such as "sticky" threads, thread ordering, etc.

As Michael Penney mentions in this thread; we are currently working on a project module to replace our existing project management setup and need a way to track bugs/issues/problems/notes/etc on a per project basis. The forum module seems like the most logical choice for our needs as it keeps track of discussions and the new "advanced search" makes finding information in discussions really cool. I'm looking to create a forum per project so that it will be as flexible as possible more info on our project module can be found here. Your mention of an API is exactly what we think needs to be done to make this happen, and allow other modules to integrate with the forums.

If you haven't started development then I think we are definitely interested in modifying the forum to implement suggested changes here as well as other feature implementation mentioned in the forums area.

I think it would be beneficial to itemize features that should be implemented, and to flesh out the details for an API to allow forum integration with other modules/activities.

regards,
Jeff
In reply to Jeff Graham

by Mike Churchward -

Other than thinking about it, I have not started it, no.

Let's plan for the elements we want to include, and how best to architect it.

I've added an entry in the developer wiki for this. Please add your plans, etc. here.

mike

by Jeff Graham -
Hi Mike,

I modified the wiki a little bit, and added a details page with some rough ideas on how/why to implement some of the features.

I think we should itemize a list of what features or information about posts we need added; bug's, priority, rating, etc as you mention on the wiki. Once we get a clear picture of what the forum module is lacking we can create an implementation that makes sense and is flexible enough for future changes if necessary.
In reply to Jeff Graham

by Robert Brenstein -
One aspect not mentioned by anyone as far as I can tell: I think that a forum-based bug tracker must allow subscribing to a single thread not the entire forum as it is in the forum now.

As someone who submits a bug, I want to get any followups and discussion about bugs I submitted but I do not want to get the entire bug-related traffic.

Of course, an option to subscribe to the entire forum should remain. However, even developers may want to reduce the traffic, so another feature to consider is subscribing to specific category of posts (in terms of bugs this would be, for example, moodle components).

May be Moodle should have two different forum-type modules, a basic one, the forum module as we have now more or less to be used further for normal class discussions, and an advanced one with thread-level subscription, sticky stuff, meta data and so on. The latter could be used for more specialized discussions, bug tracking, and support.

by Michael Penney -
Thought I'd chime in on this as we are about to start mergeing our homegrown standalone project management tool into Moodle, which has some task assigning, categorization, etc. features already.

We also currently have a system where a person can email to an sos account, the email is intaken by Double Choco Latte (a help desk/trouble ticket syste), the problem is assigned and answered, then, if appropriate it is sent back to our "intelligent" FAQ system (Mindmeld) to become part of the FAQ.

We want to simplify this process and replace or integrate some of the software to get this workflow: help tickets are sent from contact form block-> to an integrated project manager, where they can be assigned and broken into subtasks if nec., resolved tickets where appt. can be sent in edited form to the searchable FAQ (we'll still probably use Mindmeld for this, it's php is pretty bad, but what the binaries do is pretty cool).

The same project tool also should work for managing other projects as well (mainly here we need subtask assignment and a simple invoicing system).

Jeff Graham will be working on this part time starting in a few weeks with an aim to rollout a beta by end of summer, so it would be great to coordinate with Mike, Martin, etc. to keep from reinventing round rolly things & speed things along. And of course if someone found some funding we could get it done much fastersmile.

by Niki Lambropoulos -

Dear all,

based on 3 research studies, I need to have a menu on the discussions.
you know, when people reply to a message, I need to have a menu, depending on their intention. this is not really new, but it is something new for open source, as far as I know. As such, I need the menu (for the discussion forums) to have the following options>
when it opens this appears. the '-' between is supposed to be before
the title and it should be there to distinguish the two. as such, they
click on teh menu and they have the following options:
[-] space just in case they dont want to set an intention
[(I)-] i stands for information
[(Ex)-] for explain
[(Q)-] question
[(Exp)-] explore more
[(Ev)-] evaluate
[(O)-] other

This help the responder to identify his/her intention before sending
the message.  I would be more than grateful if you could tell me your
opinion.

Thank you very much indeed,

niki

http://nikilambropoulos.org

In reply to Niki Lambropoulos

by Antonio Fini -

Hi Niki,

I guess you could find our "forum plus" module very helpful smile

You can define your own "thinking types" sets in each forum to scaffold discussion posts and make users able to tag each message with an explicit "intention". There are also other collaboration-oriented features.

You can download the module here, in a discussion thread dedicated to the forum module.

Enjoy..

Anto
LTE - Educational Technology Laboratory - Università di Firenze - Italy

Full Project site: http://guendalin.itd.ge.cnr.it