Moodle 2.0 - "You can not enrol yourself in this course"

Moodle 2.0 - "You can not enrol yourself in this course"

Ugur Akinci -
Колькасьць адказаў: 27

When a student tries to log in with the assigned User ID and Password he gets the "You can not enrol yourself in this course" error message.

How are the students supposed to get into the course and start reading the lessons? Any help much appreciated.

We are using Moddle 2.0

Сярэдняе рэйтынгаў:Useful (1)
У адказ на Ugur Akinci

Re: Moodle 2.0 - "You can not enrol yourself in this course"

Mary Cooch -
Выява Documentation writers Выява Moodle HQ Выява Particularly helpful Moodlers Выява Testers Выява Translators

Could you give more details please? Do you have the self enrolment plugin enabled in your course and is the enrolment date set to the present day?

У адказ на Mary Cooch

Ugur Akinci -

Mary, thanks for your response.

Self-enrollment is allowed. YES is selected for "Allow Self Enrollments" field in the Self Enrollment plugin.

"Enrolment Period" is set to default 0 (zero). There is no "Enrollment Date" field.

Actually, some users can log in and take the course without any problems at all. That's what's so puzzling about it. I cannot see the difference between those students who can get in and those who cannot since they seem to be configured just the same.

So I still need ideas to resolve this issue. Thanks.

У адказ на Mary Cooch

Ugur Akinci -

Mary, GOOD NEWS!  After hours of experimentation, I solved it by doing this:

(1) Log in to the Course as Admin.

(2) Go to SETTINGS > USERS > ENROLMENT METHODS  group of controls. ENROLMENT METHODS table should display.

(3) In the EDIT column of that table, find the SELF ENROLMENT (Student) row and click the EYE ICON to "open its eye." Mine was closed.

Now when you try to log in as a Student, ENROLL ME button should display instead of an error message. WHen you click that button you should be in the classroom.

That did it for me. Thanks. Ugur

У адказ на Ugur Akinci

Re: Moodle 2.0 - "You can not enrol students"

Firend Rasheed -

Hi Ugur/Mary,

I am running Moodle 2.05

I found ENROLMENT METHODS

I 'm still struggling with student enrolment. For instance, both students and the non-editing teacher can click on TURN EDITING ON in the upper right corner (when they're not suppose to) any suggestions?

Is there a simplified way to student enrolment?

Thanks all!

Thanks

У адказ на Ugur Akinci

Nikki T -
It is a bug. I found out why.

If it is a new student who creates a new account after you created the course, it blocks the new students from enrolling. There is no way to enable self-enrollment for these new students. You have to manually enroll them as an admin.

If it is an existing student, and you create a course after they are an existing user, then they can self-enroll.

You can test this out. It took me hours to track down this bug with Moodle 2.0
У адказ на Nikki T

Nikki T -
Furthermore, if it is a new student that just signed up, once they log in, the existing courses are not visible or available for self-enrollment.

Any new course added is available for current students to self-enroll, but totally unavailable for new or future students.
У адказ на Nikki T

Nikki T -

I finally found a workaround fix for this self-enrollment bug after wasting hours on it.

What you need to do is to turn off Guest access entirely, then registered student can not self-enroll themselves.  If Guest Access is enabled, self-enrollment is disabled for newly registered users.

This is crazy, but at least there is a workaroud for this bug.

У адказ на Nikki T

Aaron Chapman -

Does this mean that if guest enrolment is disabled no one can self enrol and if it is enabled new users cannont enrol, how long is a user considered a "newly registered user"?

What would the work around to allow new users to self enrol in a course?

У адказ на Aaron Chapman

Aaron Chapman -

This error has only occured to me when there is an end date set on self registration, if you disable this then self registration will work for all users.

У адказ на Aaron Chapman

Jean FRUITET -

This seams a bug.

Look at
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=166620

After many readings I think that I have a solution.

As an admin you have to
1) Enable self inscription plugin at site level
"Site administration / Plugins / Enrolments / Manage enrol plugins"

Self enrolment has to be enable (eye open)You can add instance to new course too if you like Allow self enrollment to YES

2) For any course you have create

Go to "Course administration" then to "Edit settings" and set "Allow guest access" to "No"
Then go to "Users" / "Enrolment method" and select "Self enrolment" (eye open)

Then edit "Self enrolment" (writing hand) ans set "Allow set ereollment" to YES

You can set a enrolment key too...

That's all.

Nota Bene : you can't get "self enrollment" and "Allow Guest access" at the same time. I think it is a bug...

У адказ на Jean FRUITET

Miss Moeller -

I had the same problem, and after following the suggestions here, the "Enrol" button now appears, but I'm still running into an issue (Moodle 2.0).

Now when a student tries to enroll in a course, this error appears:

"Error: A required parameter (id) was missing."

What do you suppose I should do to fix this?

Thank you for any help you can offer me.

[Note: I am also using Joomdle (Joomla Integration)]

У адказ на Miss Moeller

Dominick Inglese -

Hello everyone, 

just for goodness sake~

If you have a course that is already completed:

1. go to add/edit course 
  2. click on course
  3. click on "edit" icon
  4. then on the left side (for my admin control panel) you will see more choices
  5. under "users" you will see "enrolment methods"
  6. this is not available unless you are editing or adding a new course
  7. then make sure the "eye" icon is open under "enrolment methods"

there are also other options that only appear when editing the course~

У адказ на Jean FRUITET

Dominick Inglese -

YES! You have to click on the course to make it active. Then, and only then, will options appear under settings for "course administration" 

then click "users"  and then "enrolment methods" and make adjustments there!

thanks!

У адказ на Jean FRUITET

Jerald Fernando -

Hello Jean,

I had a similar problem like this and it worked when I tried your workaround. 

But in my case I need to have guest access too so that users dont need to login everytime even to view the videos.

So have you found out any work around on the bug that you have mentioned in the Nota Bene ??

Thanks in advance

У адказ на Nikki T

Noel Houghton -

Has this bug been reported? I have a course with self-enrollment that is having the same issue. A person can create a user account, they receive the email confirmation with the link, but when they login and try to enroll in the class they get the "You can not enrol yourself in this course". These are new users creating accounts after the course has been created and the only way I have found to enroll them is manually.

I need to have user account creation and enrollment to be all automatic. Since Nikki T mentioned this problem back in 4/11, how do I go about finding out whether it is being resolved? I'm new to the bug resolving end of Moodle.

Thanks for any help...

У адказ на Noel Houghton

Noel Houghton -

So I found what I needed to do to resolve my issue and so this is NOT a bug. After searching around the forums more, I found the following:

Re: Auto Enrollment issues
by Mary Cooch - Wednesday, 18 April 2012, 07:55 AM
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Have you got manual enrolment enabled and have you enabled self enrolment in each individual course as well? http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Self_enrolment

Feel a little silly now since I know about enabling self-enrollment but forgot to do it in the course itself! Now all is well and self-enrollment is working!

Thanks Mary!

У адказ на Noel Houghton

Mary Cooch -
Выява Documentation writers Выява Moodle HQ Выява Particularly helpful Moodlers Выява Testers Выява Translators
У адказ на Mary Cooch

Keegan Weber -
Hi Mary

I'm wondering if you can assist me.

I'd like to change the text "you can not enrol yourself in this course" in the language pack. 

Do you know which string I need to edit? I've tried amending the canntenrol string with no success.

Any assistance will be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Keegan

У адказ на Keegan Weber

Mary Cooch -

I would to go Site administration>Language>Language customisation and then choose  to show strings of enrol.php - if you search for "yourself" you will soon find the string which is core_enrol notenrollable. (Better to change locally as I have suggested here)

У адказ на Ugur Akinci

Rebecca Rosecrans -

It has been brought to my attention that if the start or end date fields are used then students get the "You can not enrol yourself in this course". As soon as we uncheck these boxes, the students see the enrolment box and can enter the key.

We are running moodle 2.1.1, self enrolment & manual enrolment is enabled and there is an enrolment key set. Guest access is off.

Does anyone know if this is a known bug?

У адказ на Ugur Akinci

Alan Hare -

After reading all your posts.. and identifying your issues were basicly related to mine as well. I am using Moodle 2.4 with SQL 2008.

• I turned on profiler on MSSQL 2008 and started logging all events written from the Moodle DB account name.
  • I then verified all the Enrollment methods I wanted on were Enabled in the Site Administration > Plugins > Enrolements > Manage enrol plugins
  • Then I created a simple Test course
  • Edit the Course enrollment methods; Course administration > Users > Enrollment methods
  • From here you can quickly Enable and Disable an Enrollment by clicking the EYE
  • With the use of my profiler logger as stated aboive, this led me to the Query and Table used as well as the value for the Courses

The query below updates the course to allow 'Self Enrollment' for the specific course.  You will also need to know your course ID.

To get Course ID use;

SELECT *

FROM mdl_course

To get current Enrollments settings for all Courses;

SELECT *

FROM mdl_enrol

Using the data from the queries above, build your UPDATE query change the 'status' field in the 'mdl_enrol' to 0 (ZERO), to fix your Courses and allow them access to All the available Enrollment Methods.

Example (x = CourseID);

UPDATE mdl_enrol

SET status = '0'

WHERE courseid = 'x' AND enrol = 'self'

У адказ на Alan Hare

Peter Johnson -

My courses are set up for manual enrollment only. Auto and Guest enrollment are not turned on.

Only one or two students were getting the error message "You can not enrol yourself in this course". All the other students were okay. The only commonality was that these students had taken the course the previous semester.

In the Course Administration/Users/Enrolment Methods/ I opened up the options (gear icon) and changed the Default enrolment duration from 90 days to 365 days.

That did the trick!

У адказ на Peter Johnson

James MacNee -

If using Self Enrolment you may also like to try:

Course Administration > Users >Enrolment Methods and select the spanner icon beside the name of your enrolment method.

There are two settings of concern:

Enable existing enrolments
If disabled all existing self enrolments are suspended and new users can not enrol.

Allow new enrolments
This setting determines whether a user can enrol into this course.

If the course is active you should ensure both are set to YES, especially if you have just set up the enrolment key.

Hope this helps.

James