Security keys, what are they? Do I need them?

Security keys, what are they? Do I need them?

על ידי faruq f בתאריך
מספר תגובות: 11

Users I've set up in Moodle 2, have in their navigation

Settings > My profile settings>security keys

can I remove this, do I want to remove this? Is it useful?

ממוצע דרוגים: -
בתגובה ל: faruq f

Re: Security keys, what are they? Do I need them?

על ידי Claire Browne בתאריך

Hello,

In the Moodle student roles have you defined the student having yes to moodle/webservice:createtoken capability?

If so move this dot to prohbit or prevent.

בתגובה ל: Claire Browne

על ידי Keith Murray בתאריך

in my seetings "allow" is not ticked and yet my students still see the "security keys" with the token link in navigation.

בתגובה ל: faruq f

על ידי Keith Murray בתאריך
בתגובה ל: Keith Murray

על ידי Sytske van Hasselt בתאריך

I wanted to answer: also check the settings for Authenticated User.

But i've just done that in my Moodle 2.0.3 installation, and I find that it's set to 'Not set'.

So: it is indeed an interesting question: which setting do you have to turn off to remove this option from student's Settingsmenu?

בתגובה ל: Sytske van Hasselt

על ידי Helen Foster בתאריך
תמונה של Core developers תמונה של Documentation writers תמונה של Moodle HQ תמונה של Particularly helpful Moodlers תמונה של Plugin developers תמונה של Testers תמונה של Translators

It seems that security keys are used for secure RSS feeds as well as for web services. However unfortunately I don't know any more than that! Hopefully someone knowledgeable will reply to this thread and explain all and/or update the documentation Security keys.

בתגובה ל: Keith Murray

על ידי Dan Poltawski בתאריך
Hi Keith,

Apologies as this is quite a technical answer..

It appears that page has mixed uses - one is for web services (controlled by the capability suggested above). The other is for 'secure RSS feeds', which I suspect is why you can see this (it is displayed when RSS feeds are enabled).

Secure RSS feeds is a feature added to Moodle 2.0 which allows users to have a RSS feed with a 'secret url'. It was developed by a summer of code student and the project was discussed in this thread. The idea is that the URL is not guessable and can be used as a primitive way of ensuring only the person who's URL it is can access the feed. (The reason to do this rather than ask for a usernames and password is because many RSS readers such as google reader do not support using a username and password to access RSS feeds).

This token which you are seeing is a 'secret' token (thinks of it as a password for the RSS feed) which can be used to access the private RSS feeds. It is displayed here in order to allow you to rest the token (or 'password') if you believe someone may have found your secure RSS feed url for example.

It appears as though there is not a capability to disable access to this page, although it will not be displayed if RSS feeds are disabled.

thanks,
dan
בתגובה ל: Dan Poltawski

על ידי Sytske van Hasselt בתאריך

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the information and clarification! Even though it is technical קריצה

You write: 'It appears as though there is not a capability to disable access to this page, although it will not be displayed if RSS feeds are disabled.'Indeed, when i disable RSS-feeds from Site admin > advanced (Moodle 2.0), the link to the keys disappears.

But I don't want to disable RSS, because we use a 'school news' rss-feed for all students on the My Moodle page. Disabling RSS also hides this block.

Do you think it might help if I request, via tracker, that some way be added to Moodle (a capability or so), that one can hide the link from Authenticated Users / Students?

בתגובה ל: Sytske van Hasselt

על ידי Dan Poltawski בתאריך
Hi Sytske,

Certainly - if you put the component to RSS then I am the RSS component maintainer and will be assigned this issue.

cheers,
dan