Hiding labels or blocks on the front page

Hiding labels or blocks on the front page

by Annaliza Marks -
Number of replies: 2

Hello,

This is cross posted because I did not get a response in the other area (I hope its just because I put it in the "wrong area")...I am hoping someone will be able to help me out.  Thanks!  Here is my post:

I am using Moodle 2.0 and have a label that I created for my front page welcoming guests.  I would like to have guest users see this label, but would not like the authenticated users to see the label after they have logged in.

I tried editing the permissions for the label, allowing guests to "view hidden activities" and prevent the authenticated user and authenticated user on frontpage from viewing hidden activities.

When I hide the label, it hides it from everyone, including guests.  When I show it, everyone sees it no matter the permisson.  What am I doing wrong?

I read on some posts that this worked for some people, however I cannot get it to work for me.  Is there something I'm missing?

I also set my frontpage default to guest.  Should that be different?

Thank you in advance!

PS...Is there a block that I can use that will do the same thing as well?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Annaliza Marks

Re: Hiding labels or blocks on the front page

by Adam Landow -

Can you perhaps enforce their 'my moodle' policy? You can do this by following instructions at http://docs.moodle.org/en/My_Moodle.

This will take an authenticated user to a completely different page, that does not contain your label.

It still doesn't prevent the user from navigating to the front page, so it may not be what you want.

Another solution might be to create a custom module with this capability...

In reply to Adam Landow

Re: Hiding labels or blocks on the front page

by Annaliza Marks -

Thank you Adam!  I will try enforcing the "my moodle" policy.  It might be exactly what I need.