Parent directory ... is not writeable.

Parent directory ... is not writeable.

by Beata M. -
Number of replies: 14

I am reading and reading variuos threads and documentation and I can't install Moodle again

I get this:

Parent directory (/home/zilvinas/domains/ausmacenter.hostingas.in) is not writeable. Data directory (/home/zilvinas/domains/ausmacenter.hostingas.in/moodledata) cannot be created by the installer.

although both folders has permission 777

moodledata is created in root, moodle in folder "courses". without moodledata folder - the result the same

I wrote although I know that I will not get some help

Last week I asked help after renaming root directory and didn't get help; thefore I have restore my website and uploaded new 2,0 installation files but no I have no possibility to install

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Beata M.

Ats: Parent directory ... is not writeable.

by Beata M. -

Where to find answer?

In reply to Beata M.

Re: Ats: Parent directory ... is not writeable.

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Beata, I am sure we have discussed this previously, if we have I am sorry this may seem a little patronizing, if we haven't then it may be new. The folder structure is:

root  \\This folder is the site root for which you have access and all other permissions.

root/moodle/    [all moodle subfolders and files e.g.config.php, sit here.

root/moodledata    [This folder is where all other moodledata folders and files are stored. If you using Moodle 2.0.2, then subfolders like cache, lang and so on here.

Both folders reside in the root. In the root there should be a .htaccess file to trap for your security.

I suspect you are doing the same thing as you did when you installed your first Moodle, trying to install the folder structure to the root and the moodledata folder is trying to be written in the root parent, for which you do not have permission to write to. Although it looked OK then, permissions were set appropriately, you were trying to install in the wrong place. If you have the time, install to your home computer, thoroughly test it then migrate via ftp to the root of your site. That will work, as long as you migrate the moodledata folder and the database is already in position. If you can, you might want to use phpMyAdmin and backup your database to restore on your site.

In reply to Colin Fraser

Ats: Re: Ats: Parent directory ... is not writeable.

by Beata M. -

Dear Colin Fraser,

Yes, we talk about my erorrs after renaming my root. I din't got an answer any more, so I lost my installation

Now I am on new subdomain ausmacenter.hostingas.in and i am trying to install the latest moodle according all instructions. I am attaching my image of structure and another image with trial to install:

MY installation

Look please at my page and say what I am doing wrong? Please

In reply to Beata M.

Ats: Parent directory ... is not writeable.

by Beata M. -

Sorry, my answer appear up. Read please

In reply to Beata M.

Re: Ats: Parent directory ... is not writeable.

by Colin Fraser -

OK, I think I have it now... the installer is trying to put the moodledata folder into the same folder level as public_html and  the moodle into the public_html/moodle folder. It is not working because you do not have write priveleges in the root folder. One way around that could be to set the moodle into a public_html/public/moodle folder and the installer should then be writing the moodledata folder to the public_html/moodledata folder. Whether this causes any security problems or not is an issue you may have to look at.

Sorry for the delay in getting to this, but things have gotten hectic for me right now, been incredibly busy, and it is not going to lighten up...

In reply to Colin Fraser

Ats: Re: Ats: Parent directory ... is not writeable.

by Beata M. -

Sorry for your time and thank you for your trial to help

I have tried variuos variants - nothing helps. It is interesting that previuosly I had moodle in the same server

Administrator don't help. I get errors:

Parent directory (/home/zilvinas/domains/ausmacenter.hostingas.in/classes) is not writeable. Data directory (/home/zilvinas/domains/ausmacenter.hostingas.in/classes/moodledata) cannot be created by the installer.

although directories has permission 777

In reply to Beata M.

Re: Ats: Re: Ats: Parent directory ... is not writeable.

by Colin Fraser -

When you cleaned out the previous installation, did you also delete the database? I am not sure why this is not working, but if you can do so, just clear everything out of the root folder, keeping only what you need. If public_html is clear, and you have read-write access to the \ folder, make sure you actually do have that access, then it should all work as it is supposed to.

In reply to Colin Fraser

Re: Ats: Re: Ats: Parent directory ... is not writeable.

by Olumuyiwa Taiwo -
Picture of Plugin developers

You may be coming up against a PHP open_basedir restriction. Are you on a shared host? If so, you'll have to ask your server admin to relax the restriction.

In reply to Olumuyiwa Taiwo

Ats: Re: Ats: Re: Ats: Parent directory ... is not writeable.

by Beata M. -

Hello Olumuyiwa Taiwo,

I think I am on normal server (or this is shared?) - I have free hosting near my client.

Administrator do not help

In reply to Colin Fraser

Ats: Re: Ats: Re: Ats: Parent directory ... is not writeable.

by Beata M. -

Daear Colin,

I have already lost my patience, because nothing helps.

Yes, I have exported MySql before deleting data base  and have it on my hard disk. MySql is clean.

But this will not help when I can't install Moodle. I have already tried all variants: I unzipped even Moodle in cpanel:  in root, in one or other folder - no posibilities to install. The same errors...

I think, this fault of server but administrator is not going to help

I took another place in other server and did automatical installation with help of Instalatron. I got installation in minute but I wonder because Moodle 2.02 is diferent from previuos versions. It is dificult to have and to find active section of Administration; thefore I can't for a while import my previuos courses which I have backed up

Thank you very much for help.

In reply to Beata M.

Re: Ats: Re: Ats: Re: Ats: Parent directory ... is not writeable.

by Bill Pleace -

I know this doesnt help but I also get this very annoying error message and have failed to install moodle. I have chmod 777 all doirectories and still no joy. Anyone any more information, very annoying.

Thanks,

Bill.

In reply to Bill Pleace

Re: Ats: Re: Ats: Re: Ats: Parent directory ... is not writeable.

by Olumuyiwa Taiwo -
Picture of Plugin developers

"I also get this very annoying error message"

What's the error message?

In reply to Beata M.

Re: Parent directory ... is not writeable.

by Pavel Mynařík -

Try to change PHP settings: open_basedir to ON, It helps me. 

This is PHP settings which denide to read files outside of web directory.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Pavel Mynařík

Re: Parent directory ... is not writeable.

by Matthew D -

Thanks Pavel, that helped me at least. I was receiving two open_basedir() errors.

Original PHP.ini:

open_basedir="C:\inetpub\wwwroot"

Modified it to:

open_basedir="C:\inetpub"

After making the change the web interface install continued smoothly.