Anyone used Moodle for Human Resources?

Anyone used Moodle for Human Resources?

by Seth Baker -
Number of replies: 3

I got a assignment given to me have Moodle setup for H.R., but when I asked my Boss how they are going to use it, he said ask H.R. I couldn't find the origin of this assignment, but I suspect that Moodle has become a buzz word among H.R. people. I've learned much about how to administer Moodle, but not sure how a H.R. department would utilize it. I have setup a meeting with H.R., in a couple of days, to find out how Moodle can help them, I'm doing everything I can do be prepared, but I don't understand enough about H.R. to know what part of Moodle or Moodle module they would want.

Any Ideas?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Seth Baker

Re: Anyone used Moodle for Human Resources?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

HR used to be called the Personnel department in the old days.

There are normally a number of sub-functions within HR, but the one that will be interested in Moodle is the bit called "Training and Staff development", or something like that.

Typically, that bit of HR needs two things.

Certainly, they will want to track which users have completed which courses, when. There may be rules like "light-bulb changers have to go on a health-and-safety course every 12 months". They will probably also want to track people who are signed-up to do courses in advance. This, track course bookings as well as course completion. This is not really Moodle's area of strength, although there are some third-party plugins and Moodle 2.0 features that can help.

Second, they may wish to actually use Moodle to teach. This is Moodle's area of strength. That is, the may wish to move away from the face-to-face model of teaching, where staff have to leave their workplace and go to a classroom to learn, and instead adopt a blended, or completely online approach. As I say, this is Moodle's area of strength. Providing the tools that teachers and learners need to learn online.

Actaully, it occurs to me that you might do better asking your question in the Moodle for Business Use course.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Seth Baker

by Eric Kugler -

We are planning to use Moodle for a variety of HR type functions.  Many LMS' are now touting themselves as "Talent Management" systems-marketing themselves to the HR function, who traditionally have larger budgets.  The reality is that you can use Moodle to set up HR mechanisms such as competencies-meaning the employee has the requisite skills and knowdledge in a given area.  Moodle can be used to provide the learning that provides these competencies to the employee (for example an online course, classroom course, books, mentoring, etc.., and Moodle can track these activities.  Also,   can be used to develop and track "Individual developement plans".  The manager may sit down with his/her direct reports as part of their evaluation process to and may contract with their employees to upgrade skills, which Moodle can also be used to both disseminate these skills, as well as track.  Also, typically orgnizations have specific Human Resource Information Systems (HRIS) that an LMS like Moodle can interface with to provide the system with the learning types of infomation (safety info, competencies, etc...)

In reply to Eric Kugler

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Also, I forgot, there is now Totara (google it) which is a Moodle packaged designed for businesses.