Performance issue with 2.0

Performance issue with 2.0

by Laurent Michel -
Number of replies: 1

Hi,

I'm having trouble with a moodle 2.0 setup over which I have full control. Any single page takes more than 2s to load. The hardware it is running on is quite capable (Linux server, RAID-5, plenty of RAM, dedicated use, load of 0, php-apc installed, both the test client and the server on a gigabit LAN). I applied all the optimization recommendation I found for the hardware/software stack (PHP, MySQL, running INNODB, increased the caches,etc...). The webserver is apache 2.0. OS is Debian.

The client runs MacOS X. I'd say that there are  no more than 100 users overall, probably no more than 2 or 3 at a time.

I used the developer tool of Safari to time the page access. I attach the screenshot below.

I timed a simple php test page that established a connection to the same MYSQL server. (The webserver and mysql server are on the same host. No virtualization even).

This is a simple php script that connects to the MYSQL DB: the testdb.php takes 55ms to reach the client. Everything is over after 109ms.

Now, the  "course page" for a given course in moodle:

This shows that view.php (The top level document) is delayed by 1.17s, then it is brought in in 207ms. The other scripts and documents start loading after 1.25s. The entire thing terminates after 2.7s. The pause at the beginning is quite visible (in safari, the url bar has a blue progress bar embedded in it, so one can see the loading progress and it clearly pauses at the beginning and then the rest loads ok).

Given that this is:

1. from the same client

2. on the same network

3. to the same LAMP server

4. accessing the same MYSQL DB

I'm a little puzzled. Why this 1.17s delay at the start? This is on every single page served by moodle.

Any insights you might have is most welcomed.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Laurent Michel

Re: Performance issue with 2.0

by Frankie Kam -
Picture of Plugin developers

I'm running Moodle 1.9.7. So I can't really help...except, maybe try optimising your MySQL? I'm sure one of the community users with developer credentials might be able to shed some light.

Frankie Kam
http://scm.moodleace.com