Creating User Specific Content

Creating User Specific Content

by San Man -
Number of replies: 5

Hi all,

I am unhappy with the parent reporting in moodle, and as a result I download all student information externally manipulate it into presentable form and create pdf files. These pdf files go out via e mail which is pretty sub optimal.

What I would like to do is to keep all the pdf files in a folder and create some kind of a generic link that would choose the correct pdf file depending on the user ID logged in. So if user1 logged in and clicked this link, the document retrieved would be 1.pdf, if user2 were logged in and clicked this link then 2.pdf would be retrieved and so on. I have a sense that I need to use the parameters, but I am just not sure how.

Any help would be deeply appreciated!

I am using Moodle 1.9.7 and while I understand a little about html and php, I am in no way an experienced programmer.

Thanks in advance!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to San Man

Re: Creating User Specific Content

by Guillermo Madero -

I'm also looking for a similar solution. I need to restrict parent's access only to their child grades, which will be captured in excel files.

In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

In what way are you both unhappy about the parent login viewing a child's grades?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Guillermo Madero -

Well, my reason for posting was not because of my being unhappy about that (I don't think I even saw that phrase, hehe), but because I was looking for a way to set a course so that parents could only access their children's files with their grades.

I have one school in which they only want (as a first step) to set a method for teachers to put students' grades and let parents to log in and be able to see them; as a matter of fact, students aren't actually going to use Moodle, for the time being.

While my first proposal will be to use manual grading, I think it'll be a bit of a hassle for them to set everything up. Then, yesterday I thought of making everything easier by just uploading excel files, but today I realized that I needed to restrict which files were to be accessed, which led me to post in this thread.

I have just finally resolved this with groups and groupings, where each grouping has only one group and each group has only one member. I made a test and it seems to work fine, so this will be my second proposal.

While I'm sure the school will choose the second approach, it will represent quite a bit of work for teachers, not only because they are just starting to get into virtual learning environments but also because of the high rate of teacher & student rotation the school has.

There is an automatic method to assign participants into a group (though one ends up with abstract group names, which in my situation I would rather have them to be the same as the participant's name), but creating and linking each group into a grouping has to be done by hand (something still feasable for a school with a few hundred students, I think).

So, I'll take the opportunity you've brought and say that my biggest "unhappiness" tongueout would be that of having to set up everything manually. Just as there is a procedure to bulk upload users, it would also be great to be able to upload manual-grading structures or grouping-group-participants schemes.

I suppose this is not a commonly required feature, but nevertheless it sure would be useful having it. I also imagine that an SQL script could be made to update the DB... ¿maybe someone with a bit of available time would care to do it? wink

In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Have you looked at the Parent role for Moodle? It does what you want - although admittedly it is also a manual task that needs to be done, attaching the parent to their child(ren)

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Guillermo Madero -

Yes, that could be a solution at a next stage, once they have children working on Moodle. So far I haven't had the need to use parent roles, so I haven't yet worked extensively with them, however at this time the school only needs some way for teachers to set grades and parents to log in and check them.

I'll definetely follow your advice once teachers learn to create courses and enroll children smile

Thanks!