Theme counts and performance hits

Theme counts and performance hits

by Jeffrey Jones -
Number of replies: 2

Greetings!
       Our district has 56 schools, and has decided to use our well-used learning management system on Moodle as its public web presence for teachers as well. Since schools generally like being able to brand themselves, we're in the proces of constructing new themes for each school, meaning we'll have well past 60 themes altogether. We have lots of HDD storage, but I was wondering if we might take a performance hit by doing this.
       As you can tell, I'm really not a server guy (I just play one on television), but I can get full specs and user/course counts if that's helpful.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeffrey Jones

Re: Theme counts and performance hits

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I would not expect performance problems in most places, but that is just a guess. Most places that refer to a theme say (effectively) "use theme X", and the speed of accessing /theme/X/... does not really depend on how many other themes there are.

A few things will be a problem, like the theme selector page for admins. That has to show all the themes, and so will be slow.

In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Theme counts and performance hits

by Jeffrey Jones -

TIm:
       Thanks for the response. That's kind of what I figured, but thought it best to ask. The slowness of theme display in the admin area is really not a problem, since that gets used extremely rarely (if at all), being as the site them is pretty much nailed.