Moodle 2.0 Backup/Restore/Import errors

Moodle 2.0 Backup/Restore/Import errors

by Jaime Smith -
Number of replies: 6

Hi,

I just upgraded from Moodle 1.9.8 to Moodle 2.0 this weekend via Fantastico.  I solved the Unicode errors, and got through the rest of the install only to find out that I can't import anything into new courses in Moodle 2.0.  I have tried importing from courses I made in 1.9.8 as well as from courses made new in 2.0.  I also tried back up and restore.  Nothing works.

I tried to get my webhost to help investigate potential database problems, but so far they have been baffled.  The import.php process hangs at the very end and I get a 500 Internal Server Error.  If I try to restore a moodle 2.0 backup to a new moodle 2.0 course, I get this error: "Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: Default theme standard not available or broken!"

Any thoughts?  At this point I seem to be stuck recreating every course by hand!

Thanks,

Jaime in California

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jaime Smith

Re: Moodle 2.0 Backup/Restore/Import errors

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

If you go to this Moodle Doc, that will hopefully explain it.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Jaime Smith -

Thanks Colin, I have read that document, but it doesn't explain why I can't backup/restore 2.0 to 2.0.  I think there is a larger problem.   I have started recreating each of my classes by hand just to get going.  I thought I would at least be able to duplicate my 2.0 classes, but I get this error when I try to import or backup/restore a 2.0 class to a new, blank 2.0 shell: "Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: Default theme standard not available or broken!"

I can understand that 1.9 to 2.0 may be impossible, but 2.0 to 2.0 should work, right?

Thanks,

Jaime

In reply to Jaime Smith

by Jaime Smith -

I'm continuing to work on this same problem of being unable to import or restore any course materials in Moodle 2.0.  I ended up doing an entirely new installation of Moodle 2.0, setting up some test materials, then trying to import them to a new course.  I still get either a 500 internal server error or a ui coding error, depending on what settings I use for blocks/filters/activities.

I have resigned myself to the fact that I won't be able to import or restore anything I created in 1.9, but I'm worried that the new course I'm creating in 2.0 are going to be impossible to backup/export to any other courses.

Can anyone tell me if this is a bug in Moodle 2.0 or if there is something wrong with my installation of it?

Thanks,

Jaime

In reply to Jaime Smith

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

No, it is neither a bug nor your installation, well I don't think so. Different builds though may have somethings not properly working. My backup/restore is working properly, but then I only used a small course of 5 topics and 30 odd images, two videos, 1 doc, 3 PDFs and no user data. So I am not sure what your problem may be.

Suggest you turn error messages on by going to:
Site administration ► Development ► Debugging
And select

DEVELOPER: extra Moodle debug messages...

Then go to your course, back up then restore. Then go to Reports > :Logs and check if there is any error messages.

If so, then go to Moodle Tracker and put in a new issue report, will all the information you can give. If it is a bug then it can be tracked.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Jamie,

The error message "Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: Default theme standard not available or broken!" has been reported in the tracker as MDL-25685. You'll notice that the developer Sam says

The problem as many have found can be fixed by either deleting and reinstalling the standard theme, or by changing the theme in the db to a theme that works, although the later will result in error when trying to edit a course or category if the user has enabled course/category themes.

The issue has now been closed, however if you can help by providing more feedback, it can easily be reopened for further investigation. You should certainly be able to backup and restore courses created in Moodle 2.0 without any problems.

In reply to Jaime Smith

by Joao Rosa -

Finally after many tries I restore a backup from a discipline on moodle 2.0.

On the Standard folder I deleted all the content. Then I copy from another theme that I choose to it. And the problem was solved.

Excuse my not very well English

Hope this will help