Glossary entries disappeared

Glossary entries disappeared

by Alan Cherwinski -
Number of replies: 2

Hello

A teacher trainer created three sample Glossary activities and created multiple entries in all three - of different types. One links, one images and one text. Much later the teacher found the Glossary emtpy. This after a few version upgrades. The main Glossary activity and description are intact and all the files remain in the Course files, but the Glossary items themselves are gone.  I can't think of how some upgrading mistake (now at 1.9.10) or misplaced uploaddata directory or accidental course reset could be the cause. Any suggested sources. It is no critical as the information was for sample purposes only.

Thank you,

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alan Cherwinski

Re: Glossary entries disappeared

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Alan,

Since the problems comes after a number of version upgrades, it is not possible to reproduce and not easy to establish a diagnostic. All I can say is that, when you make a backup-restore of a course (or of glossaries within a course), upon restoring only the glossaries themselves are restored, not their entries. Glossary entries must be saved, using the "Export Entries" feature, then they can be restored.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Glossary entries disappeared

by Alan Cherwinski -

Thank you Joseph -  that is helpful information. I had not realized that the Glossary entries were not included in the full backup.  It seems a little odd not to backup all the course data - unless it was not required. I wonder if this is handled better in 2.0?

Alan