Backup and Restore/Import issues in 2.0

Backup and Restore/Import issues in 2.0

by Emma Richardson -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

There are several issues with the Import process in 2.0.

Firstly, it is sooo slow.  Page seems to take forever to load.  Maybe this is just because we do not see the progress of the import.  I have checked on the RAM allowed for extra processes and it is good.

Secondly, I cannot get any quizzes to import at all (importing quiz from one course to another)

Thirdly, the UI is not very user friendly.  My teachers will create a week at a time and then import to their other sections.  They have manually uncheck all other fifteen weeks.  Could we please add an unselect all button so that they click that and then just select the activities that they want?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Emma Richardson

Re: Backup and Restore/Import issues in 2.0

by Stuart Mealor -

Hi Emma

We upgraded a couple of site to Moodle 2.0 in December and have been working with them for about 6 weeks now.

The Import process does not appear noticably slower than in 1.9.10 for us.
However, if you have very large courses, or very large resources you are importing this could be a factor.  Importing at a time your server is busy with users might slow things down too.  Even if you think the RAM is sufficient it might be worth increasing it temporarily to see if it does make any effect?

We had a problem with Quizzes when upgrading - specifically with the Cloze type questions (which I know has caused problems in earlier upgrades).
In the end we deleted and re-created the Cloze questions (we were at year end so that was OK).
Might be worth cheking the question types?

I agree that it would be good to have an 'Unselect all' option - so you could add this to the Tracker as a feature request smile

Stu

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Paul Vitagliano -

Can we please have an update on this? Common sense says to put a "Select All / Select None" option here for the check boxes in the Import area. Why is this taking so long to get done? It's like working with Blackboard Tech Support! Please, no excuses that you get millions of requests...PLEASE just get it done.

On top of all that, importing section headers and their accompanying text is not working in Moodle 2.0. Any plan to fix this soon? This is really handcuffing our Instructional Designers and Course Developers.

In reply to Paul Vitagliano

by Rob Monk -

Yes we are making slow progress on this issue.

See this post from December where I identified similar issues.

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=164317#p722262

I have put these issues in the tracker. Get your staff to VOTE for them.

PS Paul. We are having the same issue with Section Headers and Accompaning Text.

PSS Paul. Comparing Moodle "Tech Support" to Blackboard is unfair. Moodle is opensource. Live the motto The community is the Software - The Software is the community. We should vote rather than whine.

In reply to Rob Monk

by Rob Monk -

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-25759 All/None switch when importing.

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-25758 Course Finder Box when importing.

In reply to Rob Monk

by Paul Vitagliano -

Enough preaching. Fixing.

Open source is ZERO excuse. That is the common refrain from Moodle. And to compare Moodle Support to Blackboard is quite fair in this competitive market. You want to get ahead? Trounce Blackboard - and don't preoccupy yourself with my "whining." Because right now, I am not impressed with the fact that this common sense simple fix is taking so bloody long to implement.

Common sense fixes don't need votes. They need to be fixed.

I look forward to seeing this resolved real soon.