Afterburner for Moodle 2.0?

Afterburner for Moodle 2.0?

by Priscilla L -
Number of replies: 36

Has anyone installed Afterburner with Moodle 2.0? We are getting compatibility issues when we try to install it. It worked fine with our Moodle 1.9.9 but not 2.0. Does anyone know if a fix is going to come any time soon? Any help is appreciated.  Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Priscilla L

Re: Afterburner for Moodle 2.0?

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Sorry to say Moodle 1.9 themes do NOT work in Moodle 2.0

Afterburner had a few problems in Moodle 1.9. I've fixed them.

However, I have beed working on Afterburner for Moodle 2.0 but it's not been tested fully, so its not ready to be released yet.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Priscilla L -
Hi Mary, Thanks for the info. Any chance of an ETA?
In reply to Priscilla L

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

About a week, sooner if I get the time! smile

In reply to Mary Evans

by Priscilla L -

Great! Thanks Mary. smile

In reply to Priscilla L

by Priscilla L -

Hi Again,

Just checking back... I still don't see a new version for Moodle 2.0. Is there a new ETA? Thanks!

In reply to Priscilla L

by Mary Evans -

It's on a back burner...lol.

I wish I had more time to spare to make this work...as its quite a nice theme.

I am still working on it but I have othe rprojects to work on too...so.

I'll take a look at it now, seeing that you have reminded me...again! smile

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Priscilla L -

Great! Thanks again. We are trying to use the same (or very close to it) theme for both Joomla and Moodle and Afterburner is the only one we found that works for both and 'magically' is free! Hopefully my reminders aren't too bad. Just think of it as begging... wink

In reply to Priscilla L

by Mary Evans -

Well...I'm getting there little by little...

Priscilla, if you send me your email in a private message I can send you the folder so you can take it for a test drive. It's not finished, but it works OK.

Then you can see what beggin does...LOL

Attachment screenshot.jpg
In reply to Mary Evans

by Priscilla L -

Hi Mary,

I sent you my email via moodle's messaging so hopefully you'll get it through that.  Thanks!

Priscilla

In reply to Priscilla L

by Mary Evans -

I've just emailed it to you and so...

depending on the speed of light
(at night)
you might get a fright
at the sight

of the theme! LOL

smile

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Priscilla L -

Hi Mary,

No fright but delight!

But it does bite

that I'm having such a plight

trying to change the theme right! thoughtful

Any suggestions? I'm trying to change the top menu and the Afterburner logo. Do I need to edit the css files or is there a way to do this in Moodle? Also, is there anything like a users guide or other documentation besides the forums? Thanks for all your hard work!

Priscilla

In reply to Priscilla L

by Mary Evans -

Themes FAQ & CSS FAQ are good starting points.

There's nothing on individual themes, although perhaps there should be.

As for this theme, making changes is relatively easy when you know how, but if you have little or no knowledge of CSS and PHP it can be quite a daunting task, to attempt even the easiest of changes.

I remember first trying to understand CSS after a few attempts I gave it up. Then I found a great little website where the owner explained how to, not only design and build a web page, but also how to make the graphics too.

What I know I've learned off the web.  What I know about Moodle I;ve learned from these forums and picked up loads of things by following the tutorials, which you will find if you take a look at the links I've added at the start of this post.

But getting back to the changes you want to make to this theme. Adding a Logo is all done in the style sheets, using FireFox and Firebug will help you find the relevent bit of code. Same goes for the menu, if you are just wanting to change the colours.

What exactly are you wanting to do?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Priscilla L -

Actually, you answered my question.  I've been trying to do everything through the Moodle interface on the 'client' side.  If I have further specifics, I'll get back to you. Thanks Mary!

In reply to Mary Evans

by Rolf Petersen -

Hi Mary,

I am working with Priscilla. On the server, in the directory: /opt/lampp/htdocs/moodle/theme/afterburner/pix/images, I change the light.png image to another one but the Afterburner logo still shows.

According to the style sheet (/opt/lampp/htdocs/moodle/theme/afterburner/style/styles.css:  background: url(images/light.png) 0 -272px no-repeat;), this is the active logo. 

I even went as far as RENAMING the light.png logo and the afterburner logo STILL shows.

Am I renaming the file correctly? Is the correct place to change the logo at? Or does the logo get stored somewhere else?

Thank you

Rolf

In reply to Rolf Petersen

by Mary Evans -

You should have left the light.png there and not changed it but made another image instead. and just altered the CSS from 0 -272px to 0 0 as the light image acts like a sprite image in that it is used for other backgrounds in the theme.

To see any changes you MUST set Designer Mode in Theme Settings...

Settings > Site Administration > Appearance > Themes > Theme Setting

Just put a tick in the box to enable Designer Mode - then save setting (scroll to bottom of page for save button)

HTH

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Evans

by Andreas Six -

Hey Mary Evans

We used your Template for a very long time, depending on Moodle 1.9.

Used it manly stock with some color and menu adjustments.

Now i checked a upgrade to Moodle 2.0 which fails because the Theme doesn't show up in the Theme Selector.

Did you have time to finish the theme? Maybe you could give me a quick answer smile

Thank You!

Andreas

In reply to Andreas Six

by Mary Evans -

Yes I did!

Would you like a copy to test on Moodle 2.0?

If yes, send me your email in a Private Message

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Andreas Six -

Hey,

Instalallation went smooth, Theme is working.

What about the Top Menu? (I mean the Dropdown Menu above the Header) I cant find it mixed.

Is it gone? The Top Menu was the main reason for us to use the Template, because only some others have that feature.

Thank You

Andreas

In reply to Andreas Six

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The dropdown menu in most themes in moodle2 appears when the links are entered on the theme settings page as a custom menu. If the theme does not detect any entries in this box, then it does not show the menu bar.

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Andreas Six -

Hey Richard,

That did the Trick, Thank You!

Andreas

In reply to Mary Evans

by Ashly Mellor -

Installation went smoothly and looks great. One problem I am running in to is the Top Menu, with Home and My courses etc. On the 1.9 version it ran a script I am guessing to pull the My COurse that the student was enrolled in and put it under that menu, is there anyway to do this in 2.0 Version?

Like I said I have the menu showing but you have to put it in theme settings so how to you put a script or whatever it is in there? Or is this a feature that will just be lost sad

Thanks

In reply to Ashly Mellor

by Richard Oelmann -

Hi Ashly

There are a number of themes which do have this in them - Decaf and Krystle (which uses the Awesombar menu from Decaf) and a couple of others I think.

It is certainly possible to add this to the top menu, by overriding the custom menu renderer - or by reusing the code from Decaf/Krystle to do it.

I haven't actually looked at afterburner for Moodle2 yet, but will try to look at this over the weekend for you, if no-one else has been able to provide a complete solution before then smile

Richard

Edit: Ashly - can't see afterburner for Moodle2 on the themes database, can you let me know where you downloaded it from or send me a PM with it if you need help. Thanks Rich

In reply to Ashly Mellor

by Mary Evans -

@Ashley

Thanks for your feedback, you can still have My Courses added into the Custom Menu but this is extra to the theme. There is a tutorial which you will find a link to from Themes 2.0 FAQ

@Richard

Afterburner for Moodle 2.0 is currently with New School Learning and being updated and tested before being released.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Will In Sydney -

Just wondering when Afterburner will be made available?

Does anyone have a prerelease version they can send me to tie me over until then? Thanks for your help!

In reply to Mary Evans

by Nicolás González -

Hello

I'm new in Moodle. I'm testing moodle 2.0 with free hosting and want to test afterburner theme.

Where can I get the archives?

Thank you!!

In reply to Nicolás González

by Mary Evans -

You will find Afterburner in every version of Moodle since Moodle 2.1 when it was released. So download a copy of Moodle 2.1.9 HERE and extract the Afterburner theme from it.

In reply to Mary Evans

by K T Upadhyaya -

Hi Mary,

Sorry to bother you on this thread after more than 2 years.

I seem to be stuck with a server where I can not install anything above 2.0.10 due to PHP and MySQL constraints. And the one theme that I like, i.e. Afterburner, doesnt seem to be available in that version.

I tried checking for a download of that theme for this version of Moodle, but all paths lead to you. smile

Is it possible for you to let me know from where I can download this theme, or would you be kind enough to mail the theme to me on my mail ID kt.upadhyaya@gmail.com

Thanks in advance.

Regards

K T Upadhyaya

In reply to K T Upadhyaya

by Mary Evans -

Hi, Check your messages, I have jsut sent you a link to a download of Afterburner.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by K T Upadhyaya -

Thanks a ton Mary,

I must say that was lightening fast. smile I must also add here that it is not just your technical expertise in the matter, but your dedication to the cause is so refreshingly different from the way people work these days. smile

You solved a problem which I had been struggling with, the entire day yesterday. smile To quote from your own website, "With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts." Thanks once again for this strength that comes from the thought that there is always someone out there to help you, and all is "still" well with the world. smile

Regards.

K T Upadhyaya

In reply to K T Upadhyaya

by Mary Evans -

Hi KT,

The thing about Forums and the help you get by asking questions, is two fold. The people asking, more often than not, learn something new. Whilst on the other hand, the people answering, invariably, also learns something new. 

I have learned a lot, over the last few years, about Moodle, as well as myself, my strengths and my failings. But it is always a joy when someone says 'thank you' in such an eloquent way. smile

Thank you!

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by K T Upadhyaya -

Hi Mary,

The "thanks" was straight from the heart. smile

I have started building my website to help people prepare for PMP Certification. I am trying to also put up a Joomla site, alongside this site. Hope things work out.

Thanks once again for the help, and look forward to interacting with you again smile

Regards

K T Upadhyaya

In reply to Mary Evans

by posgrado imta -

Hi Mary, Can you please provide the afterburner for test in moodle 2.3?, or can you please, please, please, provide some stable version of the theme?, thank you very very much, i´been trying with some afterburner themes (with the moodle versions 2.2, 2.3, 2.4) and still can´t make it work, thank you.

In reply to posgrado imta

by Richard Oelmann -

As stated earlier in this thread, Afterburner is part of the core themes in Moodle2.1 and later and is stable as provided in the core download.

Please can you tell us what you mean by 'some afterburner themes' and what it is exactly that you can't make work - the theme itself (which should work 'out of the box' as a core theme) or your own customisations?

Richard

In reply to posgrado imta

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

Like Richard has said, the Afterburner theme is part of Moodle now. If you have Moodle 2.3, you will be able to select this via your Moodle 2.3 theme selector.

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by posgrado imta -

Hello Dear Mary and Richard, thanks for the amazingly fast prompt response, i really appreciate it, now, in reference to my problem with afterburner...
I have installed version 2.3 of moodle and along with this facility the themes that come with it, now, my specific problem is that when I try to use the theme of aftarburner it is not applied correctly, apparently it can´t load/ apply the styles, and i ́ve been trying several versions of this theme and none (of the 2.x version) has worked for me, and when I try to install a non copatible version, moodle doesn´t let me install it but instead it recommended to update the theme (which I already try several times). any ideas?