admin/user.php

admin/user.php

by Tommaso Minerva -
Number of replies: 2

Hi Martin,

I've installed and configurated the 1.0.6 beta for my institution. Yesterday I inserted about 1700 users into the DB via phpmyadmin.

The surprise was I was not able anymore to edit users through the admin module (admin/user.php) nether to assign teachers to courses and generally to work on users from the admin side.

If I reduce the number of users to around 1000 everything comes back to work properly elsewhere the admin/user.php routine gets stuck and pending.

I worked a bit around the package and I was convinced the problem is related to some amount of cache defined somewhere. Isn't it? or have you some idea how I can solve the problem?

thanx

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tommaso Minerva

Re: admin/user.php

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hmm, yes, the admin user page needs more work to be able to handle that many user accounts.  It was never meant to be scalable. The sheer size of the table will be enough to bring a browser down.  mixed.gif

This is one of the things mentioned in the Future document, as well as bug 79.

So how should the interface work?  I'd welcome some discussion and ideas on this (and especially code!)  wink.gif

Cheers,
Martin

In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: admin/user.php

by John Windmueller -
Maybe sort the database by user name (or first or last name) and display names 20 or so at a time.  That's how WebCT does it (you scroll through multiple pages of students in the database and can search for a student name).