Can you simplify "adding a new file" function in Moodle 2.0?

Can you simplify "adding a new file" function in Moodle 2.0?

by Olga Novoseltseva -
Number of replies: 3

"Adding a new file" became a real pain in the fingertips for course creators in Mooddle 2.0  sad

1) in the window "Adding a new File to" they have to fill in the fields "Name" and "Description"

2) in the window "File picker" they  have to fill in the field "Save as"

3) they also have to rename the file in the window "Adding a new File to" to add its extention as the file picker doesn't pick up the file extention and without it the file cannot be opened.

Can anybody make this function as simple as it used to be in the previous Moodle without this "keyboarding practice"?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Olga Novoseltseva

Re: Can you simplify "adding a new file" function in Moodle 2.0?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there. As far as 1and 2 are concerned (I'm not quite sure what  you mean by 3)

1) your admin can change this so nobody has to add a description any more (site admin>plugins>activity module>file and uncheck "require descripion")

2) I never fill in the field "save as" and I can always upload my file

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Olga Novoseltseva -

Thank you for the suggestion in 1).

Perhaps, problem in my #3 can also be solved by admin changing the settings. At the moment if I fill the field "save as" the file's extention (e.g. *.doc, *.xls, *.jpg) is not picked up from the original file, so I have to rename it adding the extention in the window "Updating File in".

In reply to Olga Novoseltseva

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Ah I see what you mean now. I suspect that was always the case though - if you renamed a file in the course files but didn't include its extension I have a suspicion Moodle wouldn't have recognised it.