Block a teacher from creating certificate?

Block a teacher from creating certificate?

by Jon Fila -
Number of replies: 3

I would like to use the certificate module, but I would only like it to be created by Site Admins because it involves creating certifications with signatures.

Is it possible to block teachers from being able to see this as an option in the Activities dropdown menu?

In the Define Roles I selected Prevent for View Certificate for teacher roles, but that didn't work.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jon Fila

Re: Block a teacher from creating certificate?

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers

Hi Jon,

Excellent question, I have this feeling I have seen it before.

I was thinking you might create certificate types and not have any signatures to select because they would be hard coded in the certificate type.   But that would not prevent a Biology teacher from selecting the Math Department certificate for their course.

Ideally, we want 2 roles to be able to create/edit a certificate (site admin and perhaps a role called CertificateCreator).  But I do not know the code which will basically block the calls  when my localhost teacher adds or updates a certificate :

localhost/moodle199/course/modedit.php?add=certificate&type=&course=8&section=1&return=0

localhost/moodle199/course/modedit.php?update=201&return=0

I would like to learn something about this myself.  I was guessing the /certificate/db/access.php might be a place but I absolutely do not understand this kind of stuff smile

Chris

PS did a search on access.php and found Tim Hunt suggested this link:

http://dev.moodle.org/mod/page/view.php?id=52

In reply to Jon Fila

by Raymond Fürst -

Hi,

the right "prevent for view certificate (mod/certificate:view)" controls wether the role bearer can or cannot view his own vertificate (without having to comply with the locking options I think). This helps teachers and admins to check changes to the certificate instance they are editing.

In certificate for moodle version 1.9 there is another right "mod/certificate:manage" which might do the trick.

There is another option: In Siteadmin->Security->Modulesecurity there is a listbox labelled with defaultallowedmodules. You can unmark all modules that you do not want to have the teacher available for selection from the activities dropdown-boxes. If you unmark the certificate here, then teachers cannot add new certificates to their courses. However, I do not know if a teacher cannot edit an existing certificate, too.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Raymond Fürst

by Jon Fila -

Thanks. The "mod/certificate:manage" didn't work for me, but I did go in and alter the settings for Siteadmin->Security->Modulesecurity defaultallowedmodules.

The only problem now is that it works for new courses I create, but not for all of the courses that already exist. Looks like I'll be busy for awhile unless I find another way.

This at least gets me to the result I need.