Yea.. More sessions questions.

Yea.. More sessions questions.

by sakai user -
Number of replies: 0

Yea I know .. sessions is a sore subject in this forum.

First off I'm a firm believer that sessions (not necessarily their data) should be tracked/stored within the database layer somewhere.

I know however this is contrary to what the rest of the moodle universe thinks. I'd argue that things can be done better different in terms of sessions in (1.9) to allow the burden to the db to be eased up. But, this is not the point of my query here.

Despite my beliefs in this regard I'm toying with the idea of moving to shared storage sessions... This is due to a sheer load issue we had over finals: aprox 370 users were on doing various things then another 50-60  arrived within a controlled, in classroom final and the system went belly up .. all appservers.

My issue with moving to shared storage is this.. Currently I display lies stats with a query like this:

my $sessions = "SELECT COUNT(*) AS active_sessions FROM $db.mdl_sessions2 WHERE ((expiry > NOW()))";

If I move to shared disk for the sessions my stat view is gone. What are my options for getting this info when using shared storage for sessions? Looking at the mtime on the file?

Thanks to anyone with an idea to share..

-kevin

Average of ratings: -