bug tracker terminology

bug tracker terminology

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 7
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

In the moodle bug tracker it is possible to link an issue with another. I do not understand the difference between:

has a non-specific relationship to:
has been marked as being related by

Example.- When I am editing BUG-001 and I link it as "has a non-specific relationship to: BUG-002", and then go & display BUG-002, I can see that it has been automatically linked as "This issue has been marked as being related by: BUG-001.

Any ideas?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: bug tracker terminology

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It is a logical completeness thing that end up being illogical. All the links are directional, and there are separate names for the link in each direction. For example, Duplicates / is a duplicate of. That works for all types of links except the one you give.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I always think what matters is that the issues are linked - whether you choose has a non-specific relationship to: or has been marked as being related by is not important at all. At least that's my excuse for not knowing which to choose!

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Oleg Sychev -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

There is another strange pair of issue links, that often puzzles me: will help resolve and will be resolved by. I think if issue A will help resolve issue B, that doesn't necessary mean B would be completely resolved by A. A could just help resolve it, but don't go all the way, some additional work on B may be required.

So I'm perplexed, whether to set will help resolve link, if the issue will help, but not completely resolve another one.

In reply to Oleg Sychev

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Oh yes, that one irritates me a bit too.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Oleg Sychev -
Any ideas for renaming the second one? I could try somethink like Get help from, but people who know English better could probably think about better phrases...
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Andrew Davis -

The exact details of what each kind of link means is pretty unclear. To me at least. The main thing is that a link of some type is created so that the person who will ultimately resolve that issue knows about other related issues and can deal with them all at the same time.

In reply to Andrew Davis

by Oleg Sychev -
Well, I at least want some clarification on ambiguous link mentioned above. Is it mean A will completely resolve B or only help with it's resolving? That's a good think to clarify IMHO...