Top Banner Cropped...

Top Banner Cropped...

by Helen Giannoutsou -
Number of replies: 24

Hi all,

I'm working on Windows 7 OS and the top banner of my site shows cropped on the left when I test it on Windows IE 7 and 8. However, it shows correct on firefox 3.6.12. Unfortunately, I can't test it on more browsers at the moment.

In an effort to resolve this issue I've taken a meta.php file and put it in my theme's folder and I added the relevant piece of code into my config.php file. No luck though.

Could someone help me with this one please? Is there a setting I could adjust so that my banner shows correctly on all or at least on more browsers?

Thank you in advance for your help smile

Helen

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Helen Giannoutsou

Re: Top Banner Cropped...

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Which theme and which Moodle version are you using? Is there any chance you could provide a link to enable me to view your site? It may just be a simple CSS value that's wrong.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Helen Giannoutsou -

Hi Mary,

thanx for replying. I'm using the Aardvark Pro 1.3 in Moodle 1.9. My weblink is: www.englishblab.com

Thanks again for your help. It is much appreciated smile

In reply to Helen Giannoutsou

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Eleni,

It is a simple CSS issue as I first thought. You need to look in the CSS file for #logo and change the background position from center to left so that it reads left top...like so...

#logo {
background: url("images/header/colour.jpg") no-repeat scroll center left top transparent;
height: 100px;
left: 0; <- you can take this out as it's not needed
position: static; <- and you can also take this out as it's not needed
width: 100%;
}
Hope this helps?
Mary
In reply to Mary Evans

by Helen Giannoutsou -

Hi Mary,

that was really great help! I did all the amendments you suggested and it's working perfect now!

Thanx a million! smile

Eleni

In reply to Mary Evans

by Jonathan Herrera -

Hello mary i have a one problem i think that it is the same problem, the problem is:

I was showing cloudtechnologist.net to someone who had a large screen. A white gap appeared in the masthead i.e. the blackboard on the left, then white space, then blackboard on right.

i simulate this do zoom out in my pc and the top banner cropp.

I use moodle 1.9

please help me thanks

In reply to Jonathan Herrera

by Jonathan Herrera -

ooo sorry I use the theme back to school

thanks

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Jonathan,

I haven't reinstalled 1.9 yet since my server crashed a while back, but will do so tonight to try to provide some more detailed help (if Mary or someone else doesn't get there first) but a quick look at the site and the theme itself shows that the header is actually 2 images, one at the left and one at the right. When you put this on a wide screen, there will be a gap between them.

The most flexible solution to this is to make a slice of the background image which is then repeated across the screen to fill the gap - this may well need an extra div in the layout file as well to apply the image to.

From memory (As I said I'll confirm this as soon as I can)

1. make a slice of the banner_bg.jpg graphic
  2. in the styles-layout.css folder add the following

#banner_center {
    height:215px;
    background:url(pix/banner_slice.jpg) top left repeat-x;
}

3. in the header.html file add the following to the existing line

<div id="banner_center"><div id="banner_bg"><div id="banner"><h1 class="headermain"><?php echo $GLOBALS['SITE']->fullname ?></h1></div></div></div>

HTH

Richard

by Mary Evans -

Hi Jonathan,

The images in the header are banner-left.jpg (width= 1000px) and banner.jpg (width=741px)  which is adequate for a fairly wide screen, but because this theme is not fixed, you need to set a value on the max-width this theme can stretch to.

So in styles_layout.css add the following to the end of that css file...

#page { max-width: 1740px; margin: 0 auto;}

(Note: open your styles_layout.css using Notepad before you copy and paste this code in)

That's all there is to it.

HTH

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Jonathan Herrera -

Awesome Mary this work fine, thanks very much, and Richard thanks thanks for all, and regards from Colombia

best regards

In reply to Mary Evans

by Jonathan Herrera -

Hello Mary and Richard i have a new problems, i set up a top banner and all work fine, but today i log in the moodle and show the calendar Instead of courses.

i attach a image with the problem.

Attachment moodle.png

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

hi Jonathan,

Is this only when you log on as I have just been to your site and everything seems ok

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Jonathan Herrera -

hi Richard, yes in site all shows normal, but when i log in show the image

best regards

by Mary Evans -

I remember this happening in Moodle 1.9.7 is that the version you are using now Jonathan/ If so try upgrading to 1.9.12. From memory this was a bug.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Jonathan Herrera -

is the 1.9 version do not remember that he can not enter anything in the current moodle, 

if you were so kind to tell me I should do or where to find the process for migration should be grateful I do not want to lose any accommodations and modifications of images as well as courses

best regards

by Mary Evans -

Hi Jonathan,

Which version of Moodle are you using?

If you go to Administration/Notifications it will tell you

If you would like me to check this for you, please send me a Priviate Message  the  temporary Username/Password with Administration permissions OK?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Jonathan Herrera -

Hello Mary message sent

by Mary Evans -

Hi Jonathan, I got your message thank you. I must say your site is in a bad way. It looks like either you have not uploaded all the files correctly, or you have used cPanel and it has corrupted some Moodle core php files.

You will need to reinstall Moodle to get it working correctly.

HTH

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Jonathan Herrera -

hello Mary thanks for your help, I upload the files from filezilla to hosting account. this are the unique solution, reinstall?

please says no

best regards

by Mary Evans -

Hi Jonathan,

Before I answer one way or the other, what I would like to know is has this site always been like this? If the answer is YES then my answer is also YES the only way forward is to re-install.

If however the site worked correctly before, then my answer is NO.

But before finding out how to solve this, can you please tell me exactly what it is you have done recently which has caused this problem?

Have you installed a new Plugin or changed some files in Moodle core?

Have you always had this theme? Did the site go wrong when you added the theme? 

Your front page looks OK, but when I tried to enter the site last night there was no way to get to the admin index page.

You just get stuck on the calendar events page.

Very strange.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Jonathan Herrera -

Hi Mary,  the site worked fine three days ago,  has always had this theme since I installed it and worked well.

The only recent change was adding the lines you told me to fix the top banner cropped, in style_layout.css

best regards

by Mary Evans -

Hi Jonathan,

Did you know you posted a message in the wrong disscussion...something about core.css  smile

I have sent you the styles.php to replace your original in your back to School theme. The files had some broken code in it. I have tided it up and sent it back.

Hope this fixes the problem

Mary