Modules and Plugins database search results depends on you been logged in

Modules and Plugins database search results depends on you been logged in

by Oleg Sychev -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

I notice strange thing: using my name (i.e. "Oleg Sychev") as a search criteria I get my two modules found when I logged in, but only one of them if I'm not logged in.

That's strange. Is it a bug or something else?

P.S. Am I the only one who no longer get TinyMCE (in Google Chrome at least) on moodle.org, getting plain text area instead (but with HTML format only in combo below)?! Having to type HTML text by hand in the moodle.org forums is quite annoying!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Oleg Sychev

Re: Modules and Plugins database search results depends on you been logged in

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Is the second DB entry one that is waiting for a moderator to approve it?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Oleg Sychev -

May be. It was edited in the near past. It doesn't seem I have a way to know, if the edit was moderated or not.

So if you do minor edit on you plugin description you hide it from other people for an unknown time (not even old version)? That's no good. Thanks for clarification, now I avoid editing entries in Modules and Plugins database unless absolutely necessary.

In reply to Oleg Sychev

by Oleg Sychev -
Well, if anyone agrees that existing modules shoudn't vanish from people site while awaiting moderation of the changes, please vote for MDLSITE-1152.
In reply to Oleg Sychev

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Oleg,

As Tim guessed, the reason why you could only view one of your entries when not logged in, was because the other entry was awaiting re-approval.

Unfortunately one of the limitations of the database activity module is that if entries require approval, and are updated, they need re-approving.

Apologies for the delay in re-approving your entry. It has now been done. As mentioned in the modules and plugins database introduction, "If there is a delay in approving your entry, or if it requires approving urgently, please send a Moodle message to Moodle's CONTRIB Coordinator or use the moodle.org contact form." You can also contact me. wink

In the longer term, we are planning to much improve the modules and plugins database. We may well decide to use something else rather than the database activity module (MDLSITE-571).

In reply to Helen Foster

by Oleg Sychev -

Helen - Well, I could consider help improving database module to at least show warning that entry is moderated (maybe only if it was before) instead of simply hiding it. I may even organise writing improvment which would show old version, but later. The main problem is finding anyone from moodle developers who are willing to spend their time checking this in. I don't want rush to write this and wait for 1-3 years for it to get attenttion - my usual experience with moodle patches (without any relation to how relevant developers tell this is a good thing to have in Moodle, they just don't have time).

Sorry for long paragraphs, I have to type them manually as TinyMCE still not working for me ;)

In reply to Oleg Sychev

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

TiyMCE in Google Chrome, Windows XP, working fine here for me.

Joseph

Attachment 30-11-2010 11-24-05.jpg