how to install hotpot in moodle

how to install hotpot in moodle

by Maria Marin Padilla -
Number of replies: 19

-hi This may have already been asked, but I cannot find the answer!

I have downloaded hotpot module 2.1 and I don´t know how to insert it into moodle! I have read the "read me" doc but I have made no sense of it! Can anybody help me with simple instructions, please??? I am not that knowledgeable with computers!

Thanks

Maria

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Maria Marin Padilla

Re: how to install hotpot in moodle

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Are you runnign Moodle 1.9? if you are, then it is already installed as standard - you just need to go to site admin>modules>activities>manage activties and open its "eye" for it to appear in your course pages

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Maria Marin Padilla -

Hy Mary
Yes, i a

m using moodle 1.9. I am using it in my intranet, so I am the administrator of the course. i have been tothe moodle site to see if I could find it, but the problem is that I don't see the "modules" section. I dont know if it is in a folder which I cannot see... any clues how to get to it, please!!??

Many, many thanks.
Maria

PS: I have been to the moodle folder of the c drive of my computer, and I have seen the "mod" folder, and I have also seen the "hotpot" folder, so it means you are right, i have already got it. The thing is now how to show it in the moodle page!!

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Maria

Hope this screenshot helps.

Cheers,

Glenys

Attachment 26-11-2010 17-32-42.png
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Maria - just to add to Glenys' screenshot - you do not need to look on the server - to turn on HotPotatoes-  you log into your Moodle site as admin and then follow the path shown by Glenys above.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mark Selle -

Mary,

I just had 2.0 installed. Consequently, I'm now working in both 1.9 in my school and 2.0 privately. I am a novice with both Moodle and Hot Potatoes. I'm trying to "turn on" Hot Potatoes in Moodle 2.0 the same way I did in 1.9 and am not finding it. Can you help?

Mark

In reply to Mark Selle

by Mary Cooch -

Hi there Mark

Sorry but Hotpotatoes is now no longer available as standard in Moodle 2.0 It isn't yet upgraded to work with Moodle 2.0 although its creator/maintainer Gordon is working very hard to get it done- it will be from now on a contributed module so you will need to download and install it to your Moodle as with other contributed modules. (In my school area we use Hotpotatoes a lot so we are waiting until it is working perfectly with Moodle 2.0 before upgrading)

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mark Selle -

Mary,

Thank you! It seems that I may want to downgrade to Moodle 1.9 for now. Take Care.

Mark

In reply to Mark Selle

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Mark,

HotPot module for Moodle 2.0 is 90% complete. It works for most things, but crucially the updating from Moodle 1.9 is not quite finished, and the display of HotPots within frames has some quirks.

If you just wish to get a feel for how Moodle 2.0 works, then I think the HotPot module 2.0 would be suitable for your purposes. if you are looking to concentrate on developing new activities for a new course though, I would stick with 1.9 for now.

all the best
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Mark Selle -

Gordon,

Thank you so much for all your work! For now, I have had Moodle 1.9 reinstalled on my private site. I have been using 1.9 on my school site and will wait to upgrade.

Take Care,

Mark

by Maria Marin Padilla -

Hi Hi Glenys

I dont seem to have the same screen! This is what I see in my course admin!! I still cannot find the module folder anywhere!! This is really frustating!

Many thanks for your patience to everybody!

Maria

by Mary Cooch -

Maria

You are looking at a COURSE administration screen and not the SITE administration screen which you get to from the front page of your Moodle. Log into your Moodle and on the front page you should see a block Administration. From there you will get to the screen Glenys showed you. It adds the Hotpotato module to every course in your Moodle.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Maria Marin Padilla -

Hi Mary  / Glenys

FINALLY, I GOT IT! I knew I was not looking in the right place, but I didn't know where! I wasn't told about this front page. Everything I have learnt is on the course I have created.

Thank you again for your patience.

This forum is amazing. You all guys always help when there is a doubt!

Many, many thanks.

Maria

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Alex Varsakopoulos -

Hi Maria,

Below you can see my site adminisration menu. It has no module option. Anything I need to do to activate it?

Thank you

In reply to Alex Varsakopoulos

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Alex,

if you are using Moodle 2.0, I suggest you don't use the HotPot module, because I have not had time to confirm that it is robust enough for general use. I fear it will cause you problems and confusion.

If you wish to experiment with HotPot module, please stick with Moodle 1.9. You will have a much more enjoyable time.

I will let you know here, on this forum, when the HotPot module for Moodle 2.0 is stable enough for you to use.

Gordon

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by john matylonek -

Happy Holiday Gordon

Thanks for your work with HotPot even though I have never used it. I am newbie at Moodle too and only installed ver 2.0 from my hosting service's grahical admin pages....I need the automation and would find it very difficult to revert to an earlier version - unless its easier than I think.  Is there any kind of strategy or alternative to Hotpot in creating cloze questions for now? I am in the process in creating quizzes and find myself compromising the quiz quality by sticking to multiple choice type questions.  Any idea when he HotPot module will be ready? Thanks again for your gratis work on this.

John

In reply to john matylonek

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi John,
installing Moodle 1.9 is easier than you think, so that would be my first recommendation if the HotPot module is important to you.

Finishing off HotPot for Moodle 2.0 is next on my list, after I am through with a writing job that is turning out to be more work than I expected. Bear in mind that it will probably need a few weeks of testing in thr field before I would feel i could confidently claim HotPot for Moodle 2.0 is "indistrial strength" in the way that HotPot for Moodle 1.9 is. Even when it is ready you will need to install it "manually", because it is not part of the standard Moodle 2.0 package.

Santa gave me book called "Getting things done" so maybe that'll help wink

BTW, my ToDo list is suspended for the day because I am in charge of the Xmas meal!!

season's greetings to one and all
and many happy HotPots for 2011

Gordon

by Alex Varsakopoulos -

Hi Glenys,

I have just installed moodle 2.0, but it doesn't have the module section in the administration site.  Is there anyway to make this option to appear?

Thank you, Alex

In reply to Alex Varsakopoulos

by Mary Cooch -

Hi there. The Hotpot module doesn't come with Moodle 2.0. It is being upgraded to work with Moodle 2.0 and then you will be able to get it from the downloads tab as a contributed module.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Cooch -

Alex- just to clarify about the module section in site administration - you will find it now in the Plugins link in Moodle 2.0