Anything to get 100% (How to stop it)

Anything to get 100% (How to stop it)

by Adrian Black -
Number of replies: 5

Hi all

We have a number of hotpot quizes running across several courses.

The courses are set up so that the student can tackle them in their own time and are not forced into an agenda - so they can, for example take their time over one particular topic, and buzz through another if they wish.

This has led to a problem.

Basically we cannot close quizes (as at any one time a student may still be using it)

This means that once a student has worked out what the correct answers are - they can re-input the same answers again and again and again to get their average score closer to 100%.

(Some of the students on our system have spotted this loophole and are using it to return to all of their past material and are bumping up their scores retro-actively)

I would like to stop this behaviour.

I could limit the quizzes to 10 attempts ( with the proviso that if you still haven't got the answers after ten attempts then it is time for you to go and talk to your tutor to discuss the topic again and seek assistance )

But what I would really like would be able to say as soon as a student hits 100% ( or a predefined threshold ) the quiz is closed for them, and all they can do is review it (not re-take it)

So, my question is - is there a patch or plugin that will let me do that ?

Something that will let me say - this is closed to a student as soon as they get 100%.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Adrian Black

Re: Anything to get 100% (How to stop it)

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Adrian,

I don't think you can through the Hot Potatoes Module but you can through QuizPort because you can set post-conditions.

Don't be too worried by QuizPort still being in beta - I use it on a production site with no problems.

Cheers,

Glenys

In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Adrian,

as Glenys says, there is currently no technological way to do what you want to do with the HotPot module.

However, it occured to me that if you were to use JMatch or JQuiz containing large numbers of questions from which only a few were randomly selected for each attempt, then you wouldn't mind so much if students re-did the exercises many times. In fact, you would rejoice if they did!

Also, you could make it clear to the students that HotPot activities only count for a small part of the Moodle course grade. What you really want them to do, and what makes a far greater contribution to their final grade, is an activity, such as an original presentation or written report, which demonstates that they can apply the knowledge that the Hot Potatoes exercises have introduced.

Glenys, you mentioned that QuizPort is in beta, but I consider it is fully released software - reliable, stable and ready for action. If it says somewhere that QuizPort is in beta, I would like to change that.

best regards
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

QuizPort status, was Re: Anything to get 100% (How to stop it)

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Gordon,

Sorry for giving misinformation - I hadn't realised it was no longer in beta. I must have missed the announcement that it was fully released.

I agree that it's perfectly reliable and stable.

In fact, I've just been to rate it on the QuizPort Module page. Some silly person had given it a 0 rating in January so other QuizPort fans might like to go and help up the average. wink

Cheers,

Glenys

Re: QuizPort status, was Re: Anything to get 100% (How to stop it)

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks for clarifying Glenys approve

all the best
Gordon

by Adrian Black -

Thanks for all of that.

It looks like I will have to begin the uphill struggle of getting quizport installed on our system as it seems to have quite a few functions that I would find very handy (not only those mentioned, but also the ability to delete abandoned attempts is something I could use)

(Yes, I know quizport is free - but I have to justify every addition to the system to the nth degree before I get my grubby little hands on it  sad  )

As for for the other comments and suggestions - I would love to include lots more questions into each exercise - therefore making it different every time - unfortunately time doesn't allow this.

Convincing the students that getting 100% is less important than actually understanding the subject - we are trying, but in some cases it can be difficult at times smile

Thanks once again for the assistance.