Forum Attachment

Forum Attachment

by Joseph Rézeau -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

In Moodle 2.0, the Attachment online help states that "You can optionally attach one or more files to a forum post. If you attach an image, it will be displayed after the message."

However, after having attached one file to a forum post, there is no way to attach any further files.

Attachment 25-10-2010 22-46-07.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Forum Attachment

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

test

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hmm..interesting - I couldn't upload a second file after the first the same as you Joseph - I could upload a zipped folder of images but when I unzipped it I couldn't get it to display..

on the other hand you can upload via the tinymce editor and I suppose have lots of images and links - but that is not the same as the "attachment"

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Clarence Prudhoe -

Hi Mary and Joseph, smile

I think this is what you are missing:

When you setup a Forum, you can specify the number of attachments you want to allow.  It must be set at a maximum of "1" in your forum.  I tested it by setting it to 3 and I was allowed to upload 3 images to the posting.

Just edit the Forum Activity and you will find the Attachment setting about halfway down the page.

Clarence

In reply to Clarence Prudhoe

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

You're right Clarence - this forum had the maximum number of attachments set to 1. I've just changed it to 5 for anyone who wants to have a play. wink

In reply to Helen Foster

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thanks everyone.

When the max number of attachments is set to zero or to more than one, there is no ambiguity. The ambiguity arises when that max number is set to 1.

Ideally a different online help message should be displayed in that case, stating "You can optionally attach one file to a forum post. If you attach an image, it will be displayed after the message."

A compromise solution which would not involve any re-writing of the Moodle core would be to re-phrase the help message like "You can optionally attach one or more files to a forum post (depending on this forum's settings). If you attach an image, it will be displayed after the message."

What do people think?

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Joseph,

The compromise solution sounds good to me.

It would be nice if there were a way that the forum itself could notify you of how many files were allowed to be uploaded before you begun uploading too though...

Jon

Average of ratings: Useful (1)