Can't remove prerequisites to courses

Can't remove prerequisites to courses

by Francis Vila -
Number of replies: 14

I am picking up an existing Moodle site with old contents in it. There are courses that demands a certificate of completion before students are allowed into it. How can I remove that so that anyone who is logged in can have access?

In Admin block > Edit course settings, I can’t find a way of emptying the list of Prerequisites list. Once one item is selected, the only way to remove it seems to be to select something else. Clicking again on the selection has no effect, neither does clicking outside, and there’s no “empty selection” button. (Looks like a bug in Moodle?)

I’ve been trying to find the files that contain the prerequisite info to delete them physically from the disk, but the structure appears confusing:

• On one hand there are folders like Moodle\mod\certificate, but that contains .php files mostly, and nothing that looks like data
  • On the other, there’s a Moodledata\ folder, that contains folders looking like this:
    moodledata\21\moddata\certificate\9\13\xxxxx.pdf

I have a book on moodle that doesn’t even mention certificates, and I can’t find anything on this forum or the web in general either...

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Francis Vila

Re: Can't remove prerequisites to courses

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

This is very strange as  I haven't heard of this before a list of Prerequisites. At least not in Moodle 1.9. Is this Moodle 1.9?  In the course settings is there an enrolment key set? What happens if you remove the enrolment key? Can students access it then? Is this Moodle 2.0?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Francis Vila -

Here is my version info: Moodle 1.9.3+ (Build: 20090121)

To open the list of prerequisites:

Go to a course, in the Administration box click Settings, there's a Prerequisite area, with a list of modules. Below is a screenshot

In reply to Francis Vila

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers

Hi Francis,

I have not seen this so it looks like you have a site with some custom code that has course conditions (prerequisites).    Better check with the previous teacher or an administrator smile  Moodle Docs shows Course settings that I usually see in 1.9 .

I did a quick search of contributed code database on "prerequisite" and got no hits.  I am sure I have seen some discussion about this kind of feature.

Best Chris

In reply to Chris Collman

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I agree with Chris - I have only seen the term Prerequisites used in course prerequisites in Moodle 2.0 (which is why I asked the version) and I also did a search and found nothing but assumed this was something I had missed as there's lots of stuff out there I haven't a clue about. I noticed you have the certificate module so whether the prerequisites are linked to that? Do you have any sort of Activity Locking plugin in installed also?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Chris Collman -

And my question to Mary,

Are you being hit with a bunch of "Out of Office" replies to your email address that have this thread title?  I just got 3 and wonder if......

Chris

by Francis Vila -

Hi,

Thank you all for these prompt responses. I have now put myself at the mercy of the guy who took over the site admin, hoping that he has some idea of what the founders of the site have been up to...

In reply to Francis Vila

by Chris Collman -

"Keep Calm and Carry On", not to mention good luck smile

by Mary Cooch -

and my answer to Chris - I have this set to "I dont want email copies of posts to this forum" so - no smile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Chris Collman -

Mary,

Helen says:  MDLSITE-1102

I think it is bad form for a forum administrator to turn off emailsmile  I find it intereting that this has happened in just this 1 forum.   Perhaps Joseph has indeed convinced the rest of the world not to use Out of Office, and these are the lone holdouts.

I will delete our off topic comments later smile

by Mary Cooch -

I hadn't realised until now that you were the administrator of this forum as well as the others Chris so fair enough! I tend to come to the forums sooner than the forum posts  RSS feeds get to my googlereader (addicted or what?) Interesting tracker entry ...

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Francis Vila -

I just contacted the guy who has taken over the Moodle admin, and he believes no customization was made on the site. So it looks as if even finding out if any customization has been done would be non-trival - not to speak of undoing it.

Is there any simple way (or any way at all) of ensuring that a course is accessible to anyone who is logged on as a student?

In reply to Francis Vila

by Mary Cooch -

I cannot promise anything obviously but if you would like to give me an admin login to your site I will have a look first hand and see if I can spot anything you might have missed - most certainly this is customised as both Chris and I have said prerequistes are not standard.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Consuelo Merino -

Hello, I'm having the same problem, I am using moodle 2.0... Has anyone solved it yet? 

In reply to Consuelo Merino

by Consuelo Merino -

I just tried moving the prerequisite to a course I don't use and then erased the course. Seems to solve the problem.