Unable to import grades

Re: Unable to import grades

by Guillermo Madero -
Number of replies: 0

Now we are two, hehe :p

I need backups because I had to transfer a course/student installation from one server into a new and empty one.

Most courses backed-up (and restored) OK, except for two, and that's when my problems began smile

I tried to solve the situation in two different ways:

1. My first attempt (which I named "vertical") to split the backups seemed to work for both courses (the backup process ended OK), but "something" is missing in the zips (as shown in the image where I compare file sizes --in a previous post), so not only they don't include grades, they also don't seem to include the "information or structure" (??) that allows (after restoring them) a grade import.

I did try the CVS grade file import (setting all options as required); no error messages, finished OK, but users were still without grades.

I also tried backing up and restoring only grades, same result (eventhough the XML file in the zip has all the grades).

2. My second attempt (nicknamed "horizontal") worked fine for one of the courses (so I didn't have any grade problems), but not for the other, as the backup process freezes at some point.

As I don't have access to the first (source) server, I can't play around with php config files and such (it's a problem we have with the guy that was in charge, where we even lost the domain; fortunately we still have access to a couple of admin accounts, and that allowed me to make the backups to recover our material).

Then? I'm in a dead-end, unabled to get a complete backup with all the info/data for one particular course sad

As things turned out, that course is not that important (most students completed it and a new version is being made), but... as I'm the one in charge of servers, installations, configurations, user's passwords, etc (I'm "backstage", so to say), I definetely don't like leaving problems unresolved. You know... I belong to the class of people that need to understand precisely what's happening at every step smile

Well, I guess I'll repost only the back-up situation in the proper forum; I'll surely learn something new, as usual smile

Thank you very very much for your time and your suggestions! Sincerely,

Guillermo