I can't restore a course - Desperate

I can't restore a course - Desperate

by Daniel Ruiz -
Number of replies: 5

Hi,

When I'm restoring a course from a moodle 1.9.3 to a moodle 1.9.9, everything is OK until I arrive to the restore.php.

It starts doing the following process:

• Checking user data
  • S'està creant un curs nou
    • ABP 1 ESO1 (ABP1)
    • Categoria: Miscellaneous
  • Creating the Restorelog.html in the course backup folder
  • S'estan creant els usuaris
    (Nou: 0, Existent: 8)
    • Estudiants: 0
    • Professors: 0
  • S'estan creant les seccions
  • S'estan creant categories i preguntes

... but it finishes in this point without displaying any error message. In the Status bar of Firefox it says "Finished".

Does anyone know what's the problem or what is it doing in this moment?

Lots of thanks,

A desperate moodle user

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Daniel Ruiz

Re: I can't restore a course - Desperate

by Lev Abramov -

This makes two of us smile - I cannot restore SOME of the courses built in 1.9.5, restoration to 1.9.9. The same symptoms: Firefox reports action as completed, but no Continue button is displayed.

Any takers?

In reply to Lev Abramov

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi,

Sorry to hear you're having problems with restoring a course. Please see the question 'Why does restore stop, rather than completing?' in Backup and restore FAQ for advice on what to do.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Daniel Ruiz -

Hi,

I followed your advice and I visited the "Backup and restore FAQ". There I found how to activate the debugging service.

Once activated, I saw that at least, it appeared an error message. The error was the following:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 225874 bytes) in ...

So, I had to change the value of the variable memory_limit in php.ini. (64MB to 128MB)

Once apache restarted, I could finally restore the course without any problem!!

Lots of thanks!

In reply to Daniel Ruiz

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Great! Glad to hear you were successful in restoring your course Daniel. Thanks for your feedback on how you fixed the problem.

In reply to Helen Foster

by Lev Abramov -

Much less luck in my case - but at least we got a very specific error message (something related to user information missing in the backup file) which we never had before, so the memory limit increase has certainly changed something. Thanks!