Ispring Presentation Echo

Ispring Presentation Echo

by Deborah Delin -
Number of replies: 10

Hi Gordon,

I have started a new thread for this as I asked about it on an unrelated thread previously.

I am still getting reports of the iSpring presentations in my Quizports playing twice and producing an echo effect.  It also happens on my computer sometimes.

Here is an example:

http://www.strivney.co.il/mod/quizport/view.php?tab=preview&unumber=-1&quizid=5224&qnumber=-1&columnlistid=conditions&columnlisttype=quiz&sesskey=NedP9zspYY

I have also uploaded an example to your site, but have been unable to re-produce the problem there.

You had suggested that upgrading to Adobe Flash 10 may solve the problem but it hasn't done so for me or the students.

It's not terribly urgent but I fear it makes my programme seem unprofessional and would love to get to the bottom of it.

Thanks very much.

Deborah

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deborah Delin

Re: Ispring Presentation Echo

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Deborah, does it happen on your site if you change to a standard theme? Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Deborah Delin -

Yikes!  I wouldn't want to try that.  My theme is highly customised and would look really bad if I changed themes.  I don't have a test site any more.....  Sorry to be unhelpful.

Deborah

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

How about if you enable the setting to allow users to have their own themes in a course. Then set your theme - just your theme, not everybody else's - to standard and check what happens.

Also, could you check and confirm which browser's demonstrate this behavior and which don't. For completeness, try each browser in the following three situations:

• your site, fancy theme
  • your site, standard theme
  • my site standard theme

The language setting may also be imporant (Hebrew or English), so if you have the time and energy, you could also try all the above cases in both languages.

That will give us some data to work with.

regards
Gordon

by Deborah Delin -

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the helpful testing plan.

I enabled "allow user themes" but didn't see any setting for changing my own theme and was a bit nervous to proceed.

However, I carried out all the other tests you suggested.

I tested the presentation in IE8, Firefox and Google Chrome in both RTL and LTR mode on my site and was not able to reproduce the problem today.   Nor was I able to reproduce the error in any of these browsers on your site.

The last time I saw the error it was in IE8 in LTR mode.

I will keep testing and will also see if I can get information from my students which might help.

I'll report back when I have some more data to go on.

Deborah

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Deborah,
thanks for all the extra data. The clearer picture we can build of when it happens, the better chance we have of identifying the cause.

BTW, I think having changed the course theme settings, you then select which theme you want to use via a setting in your user profile.

If you can get data from the students, so much the better !
Gordon

by Deborah Delin -

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the further guidance on trying to get to the bottom of this problem.

Just one thing I didn't make clear: On the Updating Quiz page there are two filter settings.

- Use Filter and

- Use Media Filters

Use Media Filters is set to Moodle's Standard Media Filters. Use Filter is set to No.  I just wondered if Use Filter might affect things.

Deborah

by Gordon Bateson -

> "Use Filter" is set to "No"

Good. That sounds right.

It occurred to me that if you have physical access to your students, for example if the congragate in a computer enabled classroom somewhere, you could assign some students to use a particular browser, and then tell you if they have problems. Suitable reward for anyone that can crash the system wink

They could be learning for themselves and testing for you at the same time

regards
Gordon

by Deborah Delin -

Hi Gordon,

I came across the echo problem today on the RTL site in IE8.  I then tested the same presentation in Google Chrome and Firefox, both on the RTL site and the LTR site, and there was no echo.

What I did notice though, and I have noticed this before, is that if I open the same presentation a second time during the same session there is no echo.  There didn't seem to be any point in then trying in Standard theme as I was already unable to re-produce the problem.

A question about the settings: I have Use Media Filters set to  "Moodle's Standard Media Filters".  What about the Use filters setting?  Would that have any bearing on the matter?

Thank you.

Deborah

by Gordon Bateson -

> There didn't seem to be any point in then trying in Standard theme
> as I was already unable to re-produce the problem.

If you switched to Standard theme, and used it for a while with IE8 and didn't have the echo problem, that would indicate that the cause of the issue is some difference betwen the custom theme and the standard theme. This then, would be the point of trying the standard theme. If you had the echo problem even once with the standard theme, then we can probably discount the theme as being a factor and concentrate our attention elsewhere.

For a similar reason, instead of always going in first with IE8, we should use a different browser as the main browser for a while. If we don't get the problem on another browser, even when viewing new activites for the first time, then we can say more certainly that the issue is confined to IE8. If we get the issue even once with the another browser, then probably the browser is not the main cause of the issue.

> I have Use Media Filters set to  "Moodle's Standard Media Filters"

As I recall, QuizPort's iSpring output format requires that "Use Media Filters" is set to "Moodle's Standard Media Filters", so please leave that setting as it is.

regards
Gordon

by salvador padilla -

Hi everyone,

I will take the liberty of commenting on the problem since a while ago the same problem came up in my site. The issue has to do with the filters and the application navigation system. When you get the echo you can stop it If you push pause in the application play-pause botton (in the ispring application I mean). This is caused becasue both the filter and the application Ispring swf file are playing the audio. One is a few seconds behind because it takes longer to load and start.

The solution:

Either set the ispring to standard theme or

Change the navigation format to none in the quiz port 

Hope it helps.