HotPotatoes in Moodle 2.0

HotPotatoes in Moodle 2.0

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 10
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
It seems we still cannot upload hot potatoes into Moodle 2.0 - any ideas when this might be available?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: HotPotatoes in Moodle 2.0

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
There was a plan for programmers at Moodle HQ to take on the task of upgrading the HotPot module during June/July, but due to their heavy workload, that hasn't happened. The latest I know is that I will do the work in the week starting August 9th.

Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Derek Chirnside -

Ignore this post please.  A few minutes later I found the definative thread: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=154464

Gordon: any update on this?

Will hot potatoes work with Moodle 2.0?

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Derek: in the following post:

There is some slightly more uptodate information:

Just at the moment, the HotPot module for Moodle 2.0 is 90% done, and the TaskChain module is only 10% started. I expect the HotPot module will be ready by the end of this year. I hope TaskChain will be ready by the end of March 2011.

If you would like to continue this discussion, please could you continue over on the HotPot forum, otherwise the information gets too dispersed.

-Gordon

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Just moving this discussion thread to the HotPot module forum...

by Jeff Finnan -

For us Hot Potters, Quiz Porters, what advantages will 2.0 offer us?

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Gordon Bateson -

As you may know, Moodle 2.0 introduces a host of new features and improvements:

Apart from allowing access to the above, the HotPot module for Moodle 2.0, when fully implemented (hopefully very soon), will offer several new features and improvements over the HotPot module for Moodle 1.9:

• new quiz types
    • Sequitur (from sqt files)
    • Rhubarb (from rhb files)
    • Qedoc (comprehensive eLearning system writting in Java)
    • iSpring (deliver presentations via Flash)
  • new output formats for HP quizzes
    • JCloze: Michael Rottmeier (DropDown, FindIt, JGloss), and ANCT-Scan (scanning)
    • JMatch: FlashCard, and Michael Rottmeier (JMemori, JIntro)
    • JMix: KeyPress (good for typing practice!)
    • JQuiz: "Exam" and "Auto-advance"
    • Sequitur: Incremental scoring

The greatest thing that HotPot module for Moodle 2.0 offers, is a base on which to build the TaskChain module. The TaskChain module will begin by offering exactly the same functionality as the current QuizPort module, which runs on Moodle 1.0 - 1.9.

Both HotPot for Moodle 2.0 and TaskChain offer hope and possibility. Firstly, they offer the possiblity that we can continue to use the courses and activities we have created for Moodle 1.x. Secondly, they offer the hope that the concept behind these modules, namely building exercises offline in your favorite authoring program, then combining them online into chains of exercises that adapt to students individual needs and abilities, can continue to be available for educators using future versions of Moodle.

best regards
Gordon

P.S. "QuizPorters" made me smile - thanks for that smile

Average of ratings: Useful (4)

by Jeff Finnan -

<<<iSpring (deliver presentations v>>>

Can I hope that Wondershare QuizCreator ( http://www.sameshow.com/quiz-creator.html ) which can also deliver in Flash will work similar to iSpring?  I already have QuizCreator.

Later,

Your fellow QuizPorter

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Gordon Bateson -

The crucial difference between iSpring and QuizCreator is that the former just plays a Flash file and then stops, whereas the latter is an interactive quiz which presumably stores results ready to send off to somewhere. For this reason, I doubt QuizCreator will plug into QuizPort in the way that iSpring does.

The good news is that it seems QuizCreator produces SCORM compatible files, so your best bet will probably be to run the exercises through the Moodle SCORM module.

QuizCreator looks to me like a full-blown commercial operation, so I doubt the code is open-source, which means I can't experiment with it.

regards
Gordon

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

What is an ANCT-Scan?

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi there,

I thought I might not be the only one not to know what an ANCT-Scan is, so I've copied a post of Gordon's here :

"Saturday, 24 January 2009, 01:14 AM

I developed the ANCT-Scan add-on (with John Herbert) for the QuizPort module. Students know there are 10 things to find to in the text, but they don't get right/wrong feedback on each click. Since there is a time limit, they do not get a chance to click randomly either. The activity stops when the time runs out or when they find all the target features.

..."

Cheers,

Glenys