rotisserie discussions?

rotisserie discussions?

by Claudia Scholz -
Number of replies: 1
Has anyone experimented with rotisserie discussions?  As I understand it,  a moderator first posts a question and a deadline, individuals respond but their responses aren't available until the deadline is reached.  The system then assigns each of the answers to another member of a forum to respond to.  Posts can also be rated but apparently, raters have only a limited number of points to hand out, so they have to choose carefully.  It seems like a combination of Moodle's FORUM and WORKSHOP modules.  I only came across it today, so I'm curious if any moodlers have explored this or if people are doing something similar with Moodle's discussion module.  Harvard's H2O project has made the code for the rotisserie mechanism available.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Claudia Scholz

Re: rotisserie discussions?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
We used to do something like this in the original Moodle classes, using a combination of a Journal activity and a Forum.

Students would reflect in their journal, getting feedback from us teachers, then at some point we asked them to copy their entry into an "each person posts one discussion" forum.  Everyone was then encouraged to respond to at least three other texts in that forum. 

One could use the ratings in the forums, too.  We used the standard Connected/Separate learning scale but it could be anything.