Library link block?

Library link block?

by David Sturrock -
Number of replies: 4
Hi
I am trying to work closely with library staff while introducing Moodle at our institution. One request they have made is the possibility of creating a "Library link" block that can show on all course pages.
The block would include links to key library services such as...
  • Library website
  • Catalogue
  • Online research tutorials
  • Research support services
  • Acadmic support services etc
Has anyone else done this, have any suggestions of an easy way to do it or an opinion on how appropriate it is?

Cheers
David
Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Sturrock

Re: Library link block?

by Przemyslaw Stencel -

If you create a block for these links, it will only appear on the course main pages. If you need them on every page, maybe inserting them into the header would be a better option?

In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

by David Sturrock -

Sorry - lack of clarity on my part. I just see the block appearing on the course main page or Moodle home page. The links would be of a general nature - not specific to each course.
Cheers

In reply to David Sturrock

by John Papaioannou -
Yes, what you want to accomplish would be very much convenient to implement with a simple block.

I recommend looking at the "participants" block which follows that philosophy and is quite simple, then make your block by hacking it.

There's also a very new and quite extensive document on developing new Blocks (do a search in this forum), unfortunately it's targeted to 1.5 and doesn't quite apply to 1.4. And it would be overkill in your case, you don't need to do anything complex.

Jon