Moodle.org platform

Moodle.org platform

by Bob Puffer -
Number of replies: 7

I've just taken in several of the O.S. discussions, detecting a difinitive bias in favor of linux over windows... but nowhere in the discussions did I hear mentioned what O.S. (and "flavor, assuming linux) moodle.org hosts from?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bob Puffer

Re: Moodle.org platform

by Manish Verma -

Hi Bob,

Linux kernel as can be seen from http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=moodle.org . It does not appear to say anything about the flavour.

Manish.

In reply to Manish Verma

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Apparently it is RH Enterprise 5.5, except that some of the packages like PHP have been rebuilt with different compile options.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Bob Puffer

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
As a LAMP plattform all "flavours" (Linux distributions) have the same efficiency, provided that you don't install a GUI system on it. The difference is for _you_, your time is efficiently utilized and it is more fun, if you work with the distribution you know well.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Odp: Re: Moodle.org platform

by Bartosz Cisek -

I can't agree as 2.6.32 has significant negative impact on IO subsystem that has a lot to say when talking about databases.

IMHO you should visit sites like http://www.phoronix.com/ to choose best kernel version and file system. On large instalations those things matter.

In reply to Bartosz Cisek

Re: Odp: Re: Moodle.org platform

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
I stand corrected. I didn't notice that it is about the Linux distribution of moodle.org but a general discussion on Linux distributions.

And thanks for suggesting phoronix, good reading!