Viewing the Glossary from other programs

Viewing the Glossary from other programs

by Horacio R. Dal Dosso -
Number of replies: 4

Dear Users:

Does anybody know how I could export my glossary to other program (Word, Explorer, Excel, etc.) and view the glossary from it?

Thanks.

Horacio R. Dal Dosso

Cetified Translator

www.hdosso.com.ar

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Horacio R. Dal Dosso

Re: Viewing the Glossary from other programs

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Horatio,

Usually moodle users ask the reverse question: they want to import data (entries and their definitions) from Excel, Word, etc. into the Moodle Glossary, not to export from Glossary. May I ask why you would want to export your glossary to those other programs? What would you like to be able to do with that export?

You can export a Glossary's definitions in XML format. This can probably be read by spreadsheets. You can also print it.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Horacio R. Dal Dosso -

Dear Joseph:

Thank you for you prompt reply.

I have built a glossary in http://english-lab.com.ar/capacitacion/, for the students who participate in my seminars.

But I would also like to make it available to the people that may visit my other site: http://www.hdosso.com.ar/, without having to log in.

Is it possible?

Best.

Horacio R. Dal Dosso

Certified Translator

www.hdosso.com.ar

In reply to Horacio R. Dal Dosso

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Horatio,

Thanks for the info. How would you like to make your glossary available on your non-Moodle website; in what form? You cannot just import the Moodle Glossary activity into a non-Moodle website, because that activity requires the Moodle API. You can only export a Moodle Glossary's data and re-import that data into a database of some sort which is available on your other website and link that database to some PHP (or Java or Javascript) script which will retrieve the data and display it on your website.

It is not a trivial operation.

Joseph