New editor load time=slow

New editor load time=slow

by Colin Matheson -
Number of replies: 3
I have been playing with the Moodle 2.0 Q+A site and one thing I have noticed is that the new editor takes a significant amount of time to load. I don't think it matters if there are multiple editors (like creating quiz questions) or just a single editor (like a blog post). It takes about 6 seconds for the editor to load, even though the rest of the page is nearly instantaneous.

Is there a way to streamline that loading time?
Is it just my impression that it takes longer?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Colin Matheson

Re: New editor load time=slow

by Mauno Korpelainen -

It may not be just an impression - but loading time depends on the browser and even different components of your PC, virus scanners, connection etc.

Joseph asked same kind of a question some time ago and I tested various settings trying to load editor faster - and the result was that problem did not seem to be in editor code itself - editor just happens to popup last after other code has been rendered.

The latest versions of all modern browsers use hardware-accelerated text, videos and graphics which in practise make them in new PC:s with lots of RAM and nice components about 10 times faster that the same computer with IE8 - and IE7 is again at least 3 times slower than IE8 to render javascripts that moodle 2 has a lot more than 1.9 had (yui things mainly)

Example

In reply to Colin Matheson

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Colin (and Mauno),

See this discussion.

Note for Mauno: I do not see a very significant loading time difference between Firefox (3.6.10) and MSIE 8.

Moodle 2.0 is definitely sugglish. Let's hope the final version will have improved things.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Yes, I agree and in my tests (in the same post) cache did have some effect but it did not explain everything. There are so many things that can have influence that I am glad to leave such things for performance experts... smile

And WebKit SunSpider is just one test to measure a browser’s JavaScript execution performance and those speed results of attached image were from a Dell Optiplex with a 3.0 GHz Core 2 Duo Intel processor, 4GB RAM, Intel Integrated Video, running Windows 7 - which may give different results than your test PC and my test PC.

Furthermore - Firefox 3.6.10 does not yet use direct2d/directwrite hardware acceleration by default so it is very likely that your PC / Firefox does not get any benefit of hardware acceleration... see for example

http://www.basschouten.com/blog1.php/2010/09/07/firefox-4-beta-bringing-hardware-acceler

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-enable-direct2d-directwrite-hardware-acceleration-in-mozilla-firefox/