Google Apps integration: Is it possible to give access to two google apps domains in the block

Google Apps integration: Is it possible to give access to two google apps domains in the block

by mandy honeyman -
Number of replies: 6

Hello

We are running more than one domain at our school for example students.lvc.org for students and lvc.org (and lots more besides) but these are the relevant email domains.

I have set up lvc.org as a sub-domain of students.lvc.org on the google dashboard but now I need to amend the settings on moodle to allow moodle authenticated teachers to log directly into docs.google.com etc.

Is it simply a separator like ";" in the google apps domain boxes on moodle, i.e. students.lvc.org; lvc.org

Thanks for any help and advice you can offer.

Mandy

Average of ratings: -
In reply to mandy honeyman

Re: Google Apps integration: Is it possible to give access to two google apps domains in the block

by Chris Stones -

Sorry, I'm not sure I fully understand the details here. Are those authenticaed teachers trying to access the docs via Automatic google single sign on?

When you mention "google apps domain boxes on moodle" are you talking

about the configuration text boxes in the admin google-moodle apps panels?

In reply to Chris Stones

Re: Google Apps integration: Is it possible to give access to two google apps domains in the block

by mandy honeyman -

Hi Chris,

Sorry didn't see your reply and I posted another stab at the question.

I'll try to explain:- We have two levels of email addresses at the school, student.name@students.add.ress and teachers.name@add.ress.

When I first set up google apps I set it up for students, using the students "domain" address, now I have set up a sub-domain - this is what google call it - which is under the students.add.ress domain.

Students authenticate via moodle, but it seems to me (and having tested it I can see that it isn't working) that the sub-domain users won't be able to.

Of course, ironically, students.add.ress is obviously an actual sub-domain of add.ress it's just that in the world of google apps thats how it (appears to) work(s).

In the google user sync block there does not appear to be a method for adding/allowing this sub group to connect.

In order to improve take up of the google apps, obviously, teachers need to have access to it. Hence my question.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Mandy

In reply to mandy honeyman

by nabidur rahman -

Hi everyone,

gussing I am in the right place! I am having the same problem with moodle integration with Google Apps as Many posted. I have register my domain (guildhall.ac) and I have set up other 2 sub-domains in Goolge Apps for education (stu.guildhall.ac + teacher.guildhall.ac). I have also setup my moodle and install plugin for Google Apps integration from this link(http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=117354) and followed the instruction. It worked well but when user click to access Gmail from moodle, they are given the username@guildhall.ac NOT username@stu.guildhall.ac.

Mandy, I can see that you had the same issue. Did you find any solution for this? If yes, please post it here or email me rnabidur@guildhall.ac.

Thank you for your help.

N. Rahman

In reply to nabidur rahman

by Tarmo Sildeberg -

Hello,

I have exactly the same question. No answer though... .

Does anybody knows how to achieve it.

regards,

tarmo

In reply to Tarmo Sildeberg

by Barrie Almond -

I *think* I have it figured out. So far it seems to work anyway. By default the Google Apps block constructs the user's Google Apps login by taking their Moodle username and then adding the domain name that is set in authentication settings. Since you can only set one domain name there, that is pretty much useless for Google Apps accounts with "subdomains".

My solution has been to set the user's email address (and thus their Google login) in the user's email field and then using that for authentication. To make it use that for authentication, I edited auth/gsaml/samllib.php and looked for this line:

$attributes['useridemail'] =  array($username.'@'.$domain);

and changed it to read

$attributes['useridemail'] =  array($USER->email);

I'll admit my testing so far hasn't been extensive, but so far it looks good.

In reply to Barrie Almond

by Jason Touw -

When you say you edited "auth/gsaml/samllib.php" is that on the gmail side or in Moodle?

Do I need to add a line to Moodle's php.ini file?

Thanks!