User import - default delimiter

User import - default delimiter

by Frank Ralf -
Number of replies: 5
The default delimiter when importing users from a file seems to have changed from a comma to a semicolon.

I would prefer leaving the comma so one could more easily use existing user files.

Frank
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Frank Ralf

Re: User import - default delimiter

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

1.- In most pieces of software, the semi-colon is the common list separator when using an English interface and the comma when using a French interface. Don't know about other languages.

2.- Would it not be better if the users import feature could recognize both/either comma and semi-colon as separator?

3.- Unless in some languages the comma might be part of a user's name? I doubt it.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I agree, in many pieces of software and languages, there is an ability to specify the delimiter. It would be good for the user to be able to specify what the delimiter they are using and leave the default so that it would be able to read the older files. Is there a tracker issue to look at this issue? If so, let me know what it is and I'll see if I can come up with a patch. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Frank Ralf -
Hi Anthony,

there's one related and current issue: CONTRIB-2211
I haven't found another one (and haven't created one either).

Cheers,
Frank

PS:
At least German OpenOffice.org 3 uses a comma as default delimiter. And if I remember correctly that's also the case with German versions of MS Excel.

PPS:
The user import feature DOES recognize the usual suspects: comma, semicolon, tab. The question is only what should be the default setting.

In reply to Frank Ralf

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Frank "The user import feature DOES recognize the usual suspects: comma, semicolon, tab. The question is only what should be the default setting."

Well, as long as the "usual suspects" are recognized, does it really matter what the default setting is?

In reply to Frank Ralf

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Thanks Frank - I was not sure if it allowed selecting them so I am glad to hear that it does. Like Joseph, I'm not overly concerned about what the default is as long as I can get it to work with whatever I might have. Peace - Anthony