Merging Grades into another Quizport

Merging Grades into another Quizport

by Deborah Delin -
Number of replies: 4
Hi Gordon,

I've created a bit of a situation.....

In my Hebrew site I have identical Quizports, but with different i.d.'s, on the same course page, one with a link in Hebrew and one with a link in English.

It has now come to my attention that this is causing confusion. Students aren't always sure which link they used and end up duplicating work.

I realise now that I should have created just one Quizport with links in the two languages.

I would like to fix this situation and get rid of the second Quizport. But there is the problem of the grades.

Is there any way I can import the grades of one Quizport into another Quizport?

If you remember, I did purchase the backup and restore scripts.

Deborah
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deborah Delin

Re: Merging Grades into another Quizport

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Deborah,
the only way it would be possible is to freeze the site for a couple of hours while the ids in the relevant QuizPort tables (quiz_attempts, quiz_scores, unit_attempt, unit_grades) are fixed manually.

However, there is a high probability of getting into a mess quickly if you were to try that so I strongly urge you *not* to.

Of some relevance is the fact that you can move the quizzes from one QuizPort to the other and the quiz attempts will go with them. But then you would end up with twice as many quizzes as you need in the destination QuizPort.

The safest way may be to just hide one of the QuizPorts and then use the manual override functionality of the Moodle gradebook to make sure the grades on the remaining QuizPort are at least as good as the hidden QuizPort.

Not satisfactory I know, but it is reliable.

regards
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Deborah Delin -
Hi Gordon,

Thanks for explaining. No, I definitely won't risk the techy way!

When you say override the "functionality of the Moodle gradebook" do you mean edit the gradebook manually? This seems like a possible good solution, but I have these Quizports set to "force" so that when a student selects them they start where they left off. But I found that even though I edited the grade to reflect progress through the unit, when the student selects the Quizport with the re-set grade he gets to the entry page and not to where he is according to the grade. Do you have a suggestion for getting round this.

Thanks and sorry to be so complicated.

Deborah
In reply to Deborah Delin

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Deborah,

> When you say override the "functionality of the Moodle gradebook"

Actually I said ...

• use the manual override functionality of the Moodle gradebook

... by which I meant, and by which you seem to have understood, ...

• edit the gradebook manually

> when the student selects the Quizport with the re-set grade
> he gets to the entry page and not to where he is according to the grade.
> Do you have a suggestion for getting round this.

No, I am sorry to say there is no way round this. The Moodle gradebook grade is not used when QuizPort decides where to resume a unit attempt. In order to know where to "force" the student to resume from, QuizPort has to have information about which quizzes have been attempted so far *in this unit*, and that information is not available in this case.

When I was designing the pre- and post-condition functionality, I thought about allowing conditions to be dependant on quizzes in a *different* QuizPort. That might have helped you in your current situation. However, I decided that in general it would be confusing, so I built QuizPort to allow conditions only on quizzes in the *same* QuizPort unit.

best regards
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Deborah Delin -
I see. Thanks for explaining Gordon.

Deborah