View assignments from all courses for specific day/dates

View assignments from all courses for specific day/dates

by Karen Hodges -
Number of replies: 7

If a student is enrolled in more than one class, is it possible to generate a list of assignments from all courses for a specific date or range of dates?

For instance, instead of having to go into each course to find Monday's assignments, can I just select Monday and see the assignments for each course?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Karen Hodges

Re: View assignments from all courses for specific day/dates

by Randy Orwin -
There are a couple of ways to do this from the student perspective. Turn on My Moodle in the site administration block and when a student logs in they are redirected to a page that shows all of their information for all classes on one page. Another option is a calendar on the site home page that when the student logs in and clicks on the calendar it will show all of their assignments by day for each course. Then if they want to look at a specific course they can use the drop down list on the calendar page in the upper left corner of the calendar. You can also turn on the upcoming events block on the site home page and it shows what is coming up in all courses with the most current assignments at the top of the list. I hope this helps.

In reply to Randy Orwin

by Karen Hodges -

Hello!  Thank you for your reply.

I am a parent of a homeschool student and I'm trying to help the co-op they attend that is using Moodle.  I have not had a chance to access the admin side of the site yet, but hopefully with the information you have given me I will know where to look and begin. 

I may have more questions, hope I can contact you again.

Thanks again so bunch!!

In reply to Randy Orwin

by Karen Hodges -

Hi again,

I took a look at the site again after reading your response.  When I log in, I am not redirected to My Moodle.  I found online how to force it to My Moodle, so I got that far.

What I see is as you said, each course in its own block with all "assignments" listed. 

When I added the calendar, I got what appears to be a school-wide calendar.  It has events that are related to the entire school and then some blocks of another shade which are events specific to my child's courses.

I put "assignments" in quotes above because I have a sneaky suspicion that the school is not using the assignments module correctly.  It appears that an assignment as recognized by Moodle is only created once the teacher has graded it and enters it then as an assignment.

However, what we see on the main page for each course is a series of blocks, each corresponding to a week of the course.  In each block, the teacher types the assignments.  I think they are just typing text and not actually creating Moodle assignments.  The format in these boxes varies from course to course making it VERY confusing.

So if what they are typing is just text and they are not entereing actual assignments, then it makes sense that nothing is going to show up no matter how I try to query it.

I think I need to understand further the process of creating assignments so I can make sure they are doing it correctly.  Then go from there with trying to view the assignments via date.

Again, I really appreciate your reply!  (and forgive me if I am using the wrong terminology in places - I just heard the word Moodle for the first time yesterday, but the good news is, I have a Computer Science degree, so most of this makes sense. )  smile

In reply to Karen Hodges

by Karen Hodges -
One last clarification - instead of using Moodle assignments to actually create the assignment in the weekly boxes, they are waiting to create a Moodle assignment entry after the assignment has been turned in and graded.  The assignment is "assigned" in the weekly box via the teacher just typing in the text so the parents/students can read it.  But it's not an actual Moodle assignment so it does not show up in events lists, etc. 
In reply to Karen Hodges

by Karen Hodges -

Ok, I have played around with Moodle's demo site and think I can more specifically describe what I need.

I see how an assignment that is given a due date puts it on the course calendar.  You can then click on any date on the course calendar and see what assignments are DUE that day.

What I need is a way for the student to click a day on the calendar and see all the assignments that were ASSIGNED on that day, NOT DUE.

So if today is Monday, September 20, I want the student to be able to click on September 20th on the calendar and see ALL the assignments that have been ASSIGNED in ALL ENROLED COURSES for today and know what to work on.  Some of the tasks assigned may be due the next day and some next week.   

This way, for instance, if the student has mutliple courses, they can view everything assigned on Monday, September 20 at one time.  Anything assigned on Monday in Science, Math, Reading, etc. would all show up when clicking Monday the 20th on the calendar.

Hope this better explains what I am trying to do.  Right now, as a parent, I have to go into each course, scroll to the current week, look at what the teacher has entered for Monday and cut and paste into my own agenda.  I have to go to Science, scroll to week X, look for Monday, cut Monday's assignment and paste into my agenda (word doc).  Then go into Math, scroll to week X, look for Monday, ....paste into agenda, etc.  Then for TUESDAY, I have to go back through and do all this again.  It takes FOREVER!!  I just want to click on something and say give me all the assignments in all courses for THIS day.

In reply to Karen Hodges

by ben reynolds -
Hi Karen,
Reading your posts, it's clear that you're not talking about the Moodle Assignment activity module (& you know it now) but rather about "homework assignments for a class."

Which suggests to me that the moderator of this forum might want to move this thread to "General Problems."

Entering text into the section boxes of separate Moodle classrooms seems like an expensive way to post homework smile

Where you might want to have a look for solutions is in the modules and plug-ins part of moodle.org.

I'll think about your situation for a bit and see if anything comes to mind.
In reply to Karen Hodges

by Randy Orwin -
Hi again Karen. Unfortunatley at this point I don't see a way to have the day assigned show up on the calendar using the assignment module and I haven't been able to find any other modules that do the same thing. Here are my thoughts on your options:
  1. Convince teachers to make a post to the calendar with all of the days activities in addition to using the assignment module to post the actual assignment so it shows up in the grade book. This means more work for teachers and you might get some push back for that reason.
  2. Convince your Moodle site administrator to turn on the "Upcoming events" block on the site home page. This shows all upcoming due dates out for the next 21 days, by default showing the 10 most recent events coming up. For you this would at least show all of the events in a single location and make it a bit easier to fill out your calendar.
The first solution is your best option but probably the most difficult to implement. The second doesn't solve your problem but will make it easier and actually works quite well.

Good luck!