restore files don't show up, 404 error

restore files don't show up, 404 error

by Randy Stuart -
Number of replies: 4

I created a class and planned to restore a back up file to provide contents of the class. I go into the class and click restore. I then click upload a file, then browse for the .zip file that has a backed up Moodle class, then I click upload this file. It seems to work on uploading for a while, as I see the status bar (in IE's status bar) slowly progress. But when the progress bar completes, the page moves to a 404 file not found screen. If I go back to the restore page in moodle, it does not show any files available to restore from.

I am running moodle 1.9.9 on IIS 7. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Randy Stuart
Greenville ISD Tech Dir.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Randy Stuart

Re: restore files don't show up, 404 error

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

Do you have the Use slash arguments option enabled? It's under Site Administration/Server/HTTP.

Also check your permissions on the Moodledata folder. The IIS user must have write permissions to the Moodledata folder. 

In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Ujjawal Bhandari -

This worked for me... thanks....

In reply to Ujjawal Bhandari

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

This hasn't worked for me, sadly. I disabled slash arguments but as I don't have access to the server files (our network manager set it up) I don't know if (quote) The IIS user must have write permissions to the Moodledata folder. It certainly is on IIS7 and is a brand new install from yesterday.  I have been able to upload photos and other files so I presume permissions are OK but when I get as far as the button to "restore this course" that's when I get the same 404 error message. Is there anything else I could check or anything I could suggest to our network manager on Monday that he could try at his end?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Replying to myself here (usefully!) I found a link to this blog post on another thread http://blogs.iis.net/kehand/archive/2009/08/09/php-and-custom-error-pages.aspx

It suggests that if you have Windows/IIS then you should change a setting there that replaces the default, not very helpful, error message, with a Moodle one  that at least might point you in the right direction. So I have emailed him to ask him to do that and we shall then see.