Exercise module add-on: Assessment math problem with v2004111200

Exercise module add-on: Assessment math problem with v2004111200

by Jim Proctor -
Number of replies: 5
I'm setting up an Exercise module (2004111200) for an assignment due next week, and when testing it with dummy submissions neither the student nor instructor assessments are adding up...the score is 0 in all cases. I'm using accumulative grading (10 elements, each with its own scale, though have simplified scales without success), have varied grades for student vs. instructor assessment without luck, and not sure what else I should try at this point.

Additionally, I wonder if you will be making the element weighting function more flexible, as it currently works with specific weights only, and these work sometimes but not other times.

Thanks much,

Jim P.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jim Proctor

Re: Exercise module add-on: Assessment math problem with v2004111200

by Ray Kingdon -
James, that sounds very odd. Accumulative grading is not something I use in my production courses but I do use it in my test courses. I've just looked at an example and the grades certainly aren't zero although the asessment form has only two elements. The only way I can think of getting zero grades is having zero weights on all the elements.

No, I've got no plans to make the weighting of elements more flexible, in practise I found changing the weights from unity makes only marginal differences to the grades, is tricky to justify, and is lost on the students.

Concerned by the statement "[weights] work sometimes but not other times", perhaps you could expand.

Ray

In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Jim Proctor -
Ray - This paper happens to have a large number of assessment elements (10), with the following percent contribution to final score:

1- 10%
2- 5%
3- 5%
4- 5%
5- 5%
6- 5%
7- 10%
8- 25%
9- 10%
10- 20%

I suppose the best way to do this without weights is to assign each an appropriate drop-down numeric menu scale, e.g. "Score out of 10" for those at 10%. This means I'll have to use "Score out of 100" for element #8, which is a little clumsy. What I was trying to do instead of the above is use the same scale (e.g., a 10-point scale) for all elements, and use weighting to compensate for their different percent contributions to the final score.

As to why the scoring is not working at all just now, my only question is whether it may have to do with the development version of Moodle (2004111700) that we're running? I've just built a new simple Exercise from scratch, and still no luck: it's apparently not successfully saving either the student nor the teacher assessments, though the Admin page shows that a student assignment has been submitted. So my guess is that there's something fishy with this particular Moodle development version, unless you have other ideas.

Thanks,

Jim
In reply to Jim Proctor

by Ray Kingdon -
Jim

The scales don't work like that, they are independent of range. That is a 3 point scale has just as much influence in the final grade as a 100 point scale. In fact if you just have those two elements in an assessment and you weight the 3 point scale with, say, 4 and the 100 point scale with unity (the default) the grade is dominated by the "smaller" scale. You get the effect of taking different proportions of your 10 elements through to the final grade by using weights. For example, weighting all elements with unity except for, say, elements 2 and 8 which have a weighting of 4, say, will "tip" the grade somewhat towards those two elements.

I'm running the development version locally with my courses with lots of students doing lots of exercises (circa 5000 exercises to date) and it's going fine. But you don't what to know that... big grin

Ray

In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Jim Proctor -
Thanks for the clarification. This does mean, however, that we are limited to the ratios between your weighting options:

So I cannot, for instance, implement the grading scheme I had planned. What if your weight field were continuous rather than discrete? This would allow us to use any weight we need.

Thanks,

Jim P.
In reply to Jim Proctor

by Ray Kingdon -
Jim, if grading were an exact science we might need finer controls. Also there's always the option of breaking down both the assignment itself and the assessment form into finer parts. That may make the grading process more reliable.
Ray