Course - Different Subjects - Some Core - Some Electives

Course - Different Subjects - Some Core - Some Electives

by Stephen Lynch -
Number of replies: 3
Hi there,

I'm a new user and have been diligently learning all I can in the past week. Perhaps I am a slow learner.

Our scenario is that we offer a course (lets call it Cert II in Information technology). We have subjects that students must do, then a list of electives (perhaps 10) in which a student must complete 3 to obtain their qualification.

How would you setup topics/subjects that are electives for a student? Do you make them each separate courses and manually enrol them after the choose them or is there a better way?

Thanks for the help.

Stephen
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stephen Lynch

Re: Course - Different Subjects - Some Core - Some Electives

by Adma Lim -
hmm~

If you want the main subject and elective to be displayed on the same course page...
How about using Groups & Groupings? If there is a small amount of resources to be used for the elective.

or heard what the others have to say? More suggestions moodlers?
In reply to Adma Lim

by Stephen Lynch -
Is groups and groups just at a user level? We would want to be able to offer a a flexible range of electives to all different students. I'm just not sure there is any way to achieve this. And certainly not at an automated level. I mean it would be great if a user can see an advertised course, choose their electives or any other variables, Pay via CC and gain access to their subjects all automatically.

Am I asking to much of moodle?

Do I need to hire a developer to customise this?

At this stage we are happy to manually enrol them in their custom electives after collecting a form from enrolment but in the end it would be great for it to be automated and a different course for each variation in electives wouldn't be all that fun.

In reply to Stephen Lynch

by Paul Ganderton -
Hi Stephen. Welcome to Moodle. Don't worry, it takes some time to sort everything out so be patient. Also, remember, it's almost impossible to break Moodle so you can experiment!

OK. To your question. There are some compulsory courses and some elective ones? I think the answer depends on how you want the students to look at them. For example, there's much to be said of having all the courses on one page e.g. topic view. That way students can view/taste the courses before they join in. If you grade activities within the courses then gradebook will have some empty cells depending on what is completed but you'll still get a score (more advanced calculations would need you to ensure cells aren't part of the score - empty = 0 etc.).

If it's a case of sorting students out prior to the course and then allowing them to see only certain parts then groups and grouping is the way to go.

I always get my students to help me design the site. They get and input and feel ownership over what gets put up. Why not ask yours?