Server Requirements for large Moodle Deployment up to 40k users with500 concurrent scalable to 4000 concurent

Server Requirements for large Moodle Deployment up to 40k users with500 concurrent scalable to 4000 concurent

by Steve Beitzell -
Number of replies: 3

We are in the process of securing hosting for our servers and would like to get recommendations on the hardware.  We will be building the enviorment in Linux using the Apache\PHP\MySQL model.  Our courses will be devoloped in Flash.

We plan to start with 2 servers (1 for web and Moodle  the other for DB server)

What is the concurrent user level when we would need to 3 or 4 with load balancing.

We understand there are many varibles in the answering of this question but would like to know what the base recomendations are as well as the high end requirements from the Moodle community who have Deployments of this size.

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Beitzell

Re: Server Requirements for large Moodle Deployment up to 40k users with500 concurrent scalable to 4000 concurent

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
500 - 4000 concurrent users is ambitious if we are talking about the same thing: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Performance_FAQ#How_do_you_define_.22concurrent_users.22.3F i.e. server-based loads. Since you use Flash technology, which moves the load to the client, your concurrent users will demand less from the server, i.e. you can support more concurrent users.

Linux\Apache\PHP\MySQL is the right way to go. Apache and MySQL have replacements if needed.

Did you go through http://docs.moodle.org/en/Performance ?

In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Re: Server Requirements for large Moodle Deployment up to 40k users with500 concurrent scalable to 4000 concurent

by Steve Beitzell -

Yes, I have gone through all available moodle docs.  Lots of good info, but not alot of specifics when it comes to hardware recommendations.

This is our first attempt at a deployment of this size so I wanted to get a feel for the hardware nessesary so I do not under build.  This information will also make it easier to project out costs for 2-3 years.

Thanks

In reply to Steve Beitzell

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
You don't have the hardware yet? That makes a test run difficult. How about borrowing a state-of-the-art server from your IT-dept for a test installation? The problem with other people's figures is that they are not yours! The docs have all necessary information for benchmarking, tuning, etc.

You could also oursource the job, to a Moodle-Partner for example.