Make QuizPort activity appear in bold in course listing?

Make QuizPort activity appear in bold in course listing?

by Gerald Grow -
Number of replies: 4
Gordon,

I have a teacher who has a busy course front page and wants to make the QuizPort activities appear in bold so students won't overlook them.

She does not want any other items listed in each topic to appear in bold, only the QuizPorts (which are the graded activities).

I've pored over the stylesheets and I can't locate a way to do this. Can you think of one?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gerald Grow

Re: Make QuizPort activity appear in bold in course listing?

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Gerald,

I don't know if it's possible to make the QuizPort titles appear in bold, but couldn't she do it a different way? I mean by Inserting a label before the QuizPorts with "Graded activities" written in large red letters or an animated gif or something like that.

Cheers,
Glenys
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Gerald, Hi Glenys!

if the teacher doesn't have access to the theme, then Glenys' solution is the way to go.

If you are willing and able to alter the stylesheets, you could probably use a css rule such as the following:
  • #course-view ul.section li.quizport {font-weight: bold}
If you want to do this on a specific course, for example one whose id is "99", you can use the following:
  • .course-99 ul.section li.quizport {font-weight: bold}
But the latter solution will need to be altered if you move the course to another site and it is given a different id number.

all the best
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Gerald Grow -
Thank to you both. Glenys, we are trying to keep the front page as uncluttered as possible, so adding lines or graphics works against that goal.

Gordon, one thing I have recently found confusing is the number of places styles are controlled in Moodle!

Where are you thinking those stylesheet lines should go? In QuizPort's styles.php?

In the standard theme's styles_layout.css?

Or somewhere else, perhaps in a theme customization css?

Thanks in advance,

Gerald

P.S. Meanwhile, I have re-typed the front page listing of all the graded exercises IN BOLD. It's not a solution, but it makes the problem slightly less acute.
In reply to Gerald Grow

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Gerald,
the best place to change CSS settings depends in your circumstances wink

The chief difficulty of making custom changes to parts of standard Moodle, or QuizPort, or your nice theme, is that when you want to get a new version of Moodle, QuizPort or your nice theme, then you have to copy across your customizations. That can quickly get difficult.

Therefore, and I recommend this especially if you are considering making a number of CSS changes, I suggest you make a new theme, based on your current theme. I believe in the theme settings you can say that your new theme is based on another theme, so as a rule it will use the settings from the other theme. Then, in the new theme you can put just the settings that are different.

I don't know a whole lot about making new themes, but I feel I know enough to be able to make the above suggestion. For more info, please consult the Moodle docs or the Theme makers forum.

all the best
Gordon