Moodle for 50,000 users? (was Re: Moodle Hosting Sites)

Moodle for 50,000 users? (was Re: Moodle Hosting Sites)

by David Brightbill -
Number of replies: 1
I have a series of courses that are mandated by the government for employees of certain organizations. Right now, the project is in beta, but in the next year will ramp up to around 10,000 users. At our peak, we expect to have 50,000 users. A typical user will have between 4 and 8 total contact hours on the system. We're currently deployed on a proprietary LMS. The vendor provides good service, but any changes to the system take forever to complete.

Am I being foolish to think that moodle is an appropriate platform for this project?

Thanks in advance for any advices or pointers.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Brightbill

Re: Moodle Hosting Sites

by Robert Brenstein -
[the post I am responding to should be split into its own thread in the forum...]

You are probably not a fool wink

However, you don't say what kind of courses those are in terms of user activities and whether those 8 hours is spread over time or concentrated. What I am leading to is your estimating the average and peek numbers of users on the system and what loads you can expect on the service.

Moodle can handle the load if you have proper server setup. There is lots of info about this in this forum. See for example

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=115497

In terms of serving the content, tracking your users progress etc, it is impossible to say without further details. You can simply set up trial Moodle service and try to implement a course or two to see for yourself.