Restore a zip file takes forever

Restore a zip file takes forever

by Axel Yeung -
Number of replies: 3
I am creating backup of our course using Moodle 1.4 on a rental linux machine with php 4.3.8, apache 2.0.50 and mysql 3.23.49. I can backup a course successfully but having trouble in restore a course, when i try to restore the course(see attachment), it stay at "Creating categories and questions" and even waiting after 1 day, it still there dead.

I made changes to backup/restore.php as I found suggestion there, increase the time out to 6000 and memory amount to 256MB, using Mozilla Firefox or IE 6.0 but still the same.

I have tried to backup a small file(less than 50KB) and it works successfully, I wonder what should I do to solve this?

Many Thanks

-Axel
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Axel Yeung

Re: Restore a zip file takes forever

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Axel,

I've been able to restore your course. I've attached on screenshot of it in my test server. I'm not really sure if their contents are correct or no (because I don't understand zh_tw, taiwan? wink).

Anyway, the time to restore your course has been extremely long, when it's a small one. Perhaps the encoding/decoding process to utf from tw is the cause. And finally, I'm not sure if your language (tw) contents are really 'convertible' to UTF and viceversa, mainly because the utf8_encode() function used widely, seems to work only from iso_8859_1 charset!

Ciao smile
Attachment course.jpg
In reply to Axel Yeung

by Axel Yeung -
Thanks Eloy, from your screen shot it looks wonderful, its exactly what I am looking for, would you tell me your server spec., how long the restoration takes, moodle version or any alteration you have made?

Thank you very much

Axel
In reply to Axel Yeung

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
eMac 1.25 1GB RAM (not really a lightspeed machine, the low-end Apple's one!).

MySQL x + PHP 5.0.2 + Apache 1.3.x

Time (aprox.): 1 hour (I'm not really sure about this because I was out while the process was running but sure it was less than 1 hour). If you need it, I'll repeat it today.

Ciao smile