Moodle documentation: Moving and Multiple Moodles

Moodle documentation: Moving and Multiple Moodles

by David Lamotte -
Number of replies: 2
Hi All,

I have been playing around with Moodle on a Red Hat server at home for a little while now. I have just signed up with a commercial hosting ISP and would like to copy/move all my moodle files from my box to the host server.

I 'think' that I have a good idea of what I need to do, but before I start FTP'ing and SQL'ing I was wondering if anyone has done this before ?

And if you have, is there any documentation ? If not, would it be worth me creating a step-by-step guide ?

I would also like to eventually run a number of totally distinct moodle instances on the one server. The 'wimps' way would be to just run seperately directory trees, but has anyone tried to seperate just the config files and share a common code base.

Thanks all,
David
Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Lamotte

Re: Moodle documentation: Moving and Multiple Moodles

by John Gone -
Hi David,
Question: &quot ...is there any documentation ? If not, would it be worth me creating a step-by-step guide &quot ?

Haven't seen any docs on this. Documentation is always worth it. Thanks David.

Question: &quot ...but has anyone tried to seperate just the config files and share a common code base &quot

I'd like to see how this turns out, too...
John
In reply to John Gone

Re: Moodle documentation: Moving and Multiple Moodles

by Jacob Romeyn -

I have done this several times as follows:

1. Backup the existing moodle file (tar cvf moodle.tar moodle)

2. Backup the database (I use webmin but you can use the Database admin module Martin provides)

3. Backup the moodledata file ( tar cfv moodledata.tar moodledata)

FTP the files to the new server:

1. FTP moodle.tar to the web home directory and (tar xvf moodle.tar)

2. Create a moodle database in MYSQL and restore the backup database.

3. FTP moodledata to your home directory and (tar xvf moodledata.tar )

4. Go to the config.php file and update with the information of the new server.

And everything should work OK providing your new server meets the requirements as stated in the install documentation.