A comment on Moodle

A comment on Moodle

od Colin Fraser -
Število odgovorov: 5
Slika Documentation writers Slika Particularly helpful Moodlers Slika Testers
I was looking at a list of "20 Most influential PHP Apps" on a blog by Federico Cargnelutti. Mr Cagnelutti was quite specific in his list and on reading the commentary, I dismissed most of it as being a little too hysterical or uninformed but then I saw this:

"Even though I hate moodle (because it’s not logicampus) I would say that moodle definitely changed the world. I haven’t seem medium sized universities drop outlook and move the squirrel mail, but I have seen them drop webCT and move to moodle."

Apart from the spelling, and even though I can be quite the English Nazi, (when it suits me of course), I was amazed at the word "logicampus". I have looked it up and have not found it anywhere. Hippocampus, University campus, school campus, prison campus, even campus Feminae, but I have never run into this word before.

Would anyone care to enlighten me? Cheers..

Povprečje ocenitev: -
V odgovor na Colin Fraser

Re: A comment on Moodle

od Mary Cooch -
Slika Documentation writers Slika Moodle HQ Slika Particularly helpful Moodlers Slika Testers Slika Translators
Ooh - looks like a Moodle opponent...
http://logicampus.sourceforge.net/
V odgovor na Mary Cooch

od Colin Fraser -
Slika Documentation writers Slika Particularly helpful Moodlers Slika Testers
Ahhh... that makes sense now.. the person who was making that comment was a gentleman by the name of Mark Kimsal, and just two minutes later another comment came from a Michael Kimsal. Possibly twins - their comments were remarkably similar, and, coincidentally, I was just viewing a Discovery Science Channel documentary which had as part of it a study from England on how identical twins disagree about half the time that non-identical twins do which is considerably less than half the time that siblings disagree. I wonder.. mmmmmmm

This highlights one of the real risks about information discovered on the web. Unless you can determine the source or context of a commentary, or find information about the commentator to place their comments into a context, then it could be completely misread and misunderstood.

How often are people prejudiced against using a particular Open Source product because of such a comment? How many people would take such a comment on board and dismiss Moodle as a result?

Thanks Mary.
V odgovor na Colin Fraser

od Howard Miller -
Slika Core developers Slika Documentation writers Slika Particularly helpful Moodlers Slika Peer reviewers Slika Plugin developers
For those (like me) that couldn't find it easily:

http://blog.fedecarg.com/2008/05/22/20-most-influential-open-source-web-applications/ ...and you'll have to search for the Moodle reference (it's in one of the comments)

Personally I think that the fact that an application is written in PHP is more-or-less irrelevant. Arbitrary at best.

EDIT:
The logicampus sourceforge site is indeed run by Mark Kimsal which explains a lot (I actually took his remark to be complimentary about Moodle). On Sourceforge his software is called 'Paidei' so who knows what's going on with that.
V odgovor na Howard Miller

od Larry Kreeger -
Actually, Moodle being written in PHP is pretty important to me. It means that I have a lot more options on platforms. If it was written in say "ASP", then I would be stuck with Microsoft.