A comment on Moodle

A comment on Moodle

by Colin Fraser -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
I was looking at a list of "20 Most influential PHP Apps" on a blog by Federico Cargnelutti. Mr Cagnelutti was quite specific in his list and on reading the commentary, I dismissed most of it as being a little too hysterical or uninformed but then I saw this:

"Even though I hate moodle (because it’s not logicampus) I would say that moodle definitely changed the world. I haven’t seem medium sized universities drop outlook and move the squirrel mail, but I have seen them drop webCT and move to moodle."

Apart from the spelling, and even though I can be quite the English Nazi, (when it suits me of course), I was amazed at the word "logicampus". I have looked it up and have not found it anywhere. Hippocampus, University campus, school campus, prison campus, even campus Feminae, but I have never run into this word before.

Would anyone care to enlighten me? Cheers..

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Colin Fraser

Re: A comment on Moodle

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Ooh - looks like a Moodle opponent...
http://logicampus.sourceforge.net/
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
Ahhh... that makes sense now.. the person who was making that comment was a gentleman by the name of Mark Kimsal, and just two minutes later another comment came from a Michael Kimsal. Possibly twins - their comments were remarkably similar, and, coincidentally, I was just viewing a Discovery Science Channel documentary which had as part of it a study from England on how identical twins disagree about half the time that non-identical twins do which is considerably less than half the time that siblings disagree. I wonder.. mmmmmmm

This highlights one of the real risks about information discovered on the web. Unless you can determine the source or context of a commentary, or find information about the commentator to place their comments into a context, then it could be completely misread and misunderstood.

How often are people prejudiced against using a particular Open Source product because of such a comment? How many people would take such a comment on board and dismiss Moodle as a result?

Thanks Mary.
In reply to Colin Fraser

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
For those (like me) that couldn't find it easily:

http://blog.fedecarg.com/2008/05/22/20-most-influential-open-source-web-applications/ ...and you'll have to search for the Moodle reference (it's in one of the comments)

Personally I think that the fact that an application is written in PHP is more-or-less irrelevant. Arbitrary at best.

EDIT:
The logicampus sourceforge site is indeed run by Mark Kimsal which explains a lot (I actually took his remark to be complimentary about Moodle). On Sourceforge his software is called 'Paidei' so who knows what's going on with that.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Larry Kreeger -
Actually, Moodle being written in PHP is pretty important to me. It means that I have a lot more options on platforms. If it was written in say "ASP", then I would be stuck with Microsoft.