Backup file oversize failure

Backup file oversize failure

by B Jiggins -
Number of replies: 4
I'm attempting to backup one my courses prior to a rollover and it's generating an error something like 'failed to copy zip file to directory' or similar.

Our admin says it's because the file is too big at 3Gb.

Are there any solutions other than creating smaller courses or deleting certain elements prior to backup? Does Moodle have a problem with large backup file sizes?

thanks smile
Average of ratings: -
In reply to B Jiggins

Re: Backup file oversize failure

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi,

Large backup file sizes can be a problem (though hopefully not in Moodle 2.0 onwards!) You may wish to try enabling the setting experimentalsplitrestore in Administration > Miscellaneous > Experimental.
In reply to Helen Foster

by B Jiggins -
Thanks Helen

I'll pass that on to our admin person and see what happens!

Bob
In reply to B Jiggins

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I don't know what database you are using, and mine is nowhere near that big in size. But, I use MySQL and instead of backing up in Moodle for a rollover, I use phpMyAdmin and use it to just copy the database to another name right there on the server in MySQL (Operations > Copy database to), and then also use Export to make and download a sql file copy to my desktop computer, just in case I trash the server. For the download, I have to make sure that php.ini is set to handle the maximum size I expect the sql file to be.

I've never used any other database type other other than MySQL, so I'm not sure if they have an equivalent GUI interface like phpMyAdmin, but it's a thought.

Hope this helps or gives you another idea,

AL
In reply to B Jiggins

by Buddy Ethridge -
Bob,

One of the things we've discovered that balloons the size of courses occurs when instructors make liberal use of the "assignment" activities. In courses with large enrollments, if all of the students upload assignments, this can quickly cause course size to increase. Our developers actually wrote a block yesterday that we plan to roll out this weekend which will allow instructors to easily view the size of their courses (see attached image; language still subject to change).

A possible solution for this issue would be to make use of a content repository in which course files and student uploads are stored (as opposed to be stored within the course itself). We have yet to implement this at LSU, but we hope to work towards that end in the near future.

As a secondary note, another area to check is the backupdata folder. We currently run a weekly backup and store the five most recent files. We are looking at the possibility of truncating these files when we do an archive at the end of every semester in order to reduce file size. This may or may not be useful to others, depending on how their courses and school calendars are set up.

Best,
Buddy
Attachment Disk_storage.png