restore doesn't work for me

restore doesn't work for me

by Martin H -
Number of replies: 10
I tried to restore a course from a backup file several times and the execution just terminated in the creating course modules stage.

after enabling debugging mode,I realised that php complains about not having enough memory.
I increased the memory to the highest available value which was 1 GB in the performance page.

Still I see this error:
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 1073741824 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 40 bytes) in /home/martin/public_html/lib/xmlize.php on line 53
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin H

Re: restore doesn't work for me

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
You may have to do the backup without some data. I find that the killer is often quiz attempts. Do you have any of those and can you de-select them?
In reply to Howard Miller

by Daniel Costa -
Hi Martin,

When I had this problem it was related to the activity blocking module. Do you have this module installed? The problem is with one particular backup or it happen with all backups you try to restore?

Hope this helps.

Cheers

by Martin H -
You got it.
the main activity (the only activity) in my course is quiz.
The course is only made up of a quiz with 20 questions and 4235 attempts.

Not only I have problem with restore, I even cannot export the quiz results, having marks for each question. This is because of some sort of mysql timeout I believe.
In reply to Martin H

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I was running into problems with about 200 attempts and around the same number of questions. I think you'll have little chance to export 4235!! Sorry sad

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi there,

This seems to explain my recurrent problems with being unable to back up courses with user data very soon after students start working in them. I typically have, not quizzes, but around 300 Hot Potatoes exercises and about 50 students.

My workaround has been to export the grades weekly and make backups without the Hot Potatoes. It's not very elegant.

Will this be better in Moodle 2 ?

Cheers,
Glenys
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Howard Miller -
2 has had a complete rewrite of backup and restore so I sure hope so!

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I have been doing a CVS install of Moodle 2 nearly every day this summer. I noticed the other day that the hotpot module was dropped from the build....I just checked and it is still gone! It also is missing from the Add and Activity drop down list. surprise
In reply to AL Rachels

Hot Potatoes in Moodle 2

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Al,

Don't worry! Gordon Bateson has written that he'll be working on integrating Hot Potatoes into Moodle 2 in August.

I'm sure everything will be fine when Moodle 2 finally comes out. wink

Cheers,
Glenys
In reply to Glenys Hanson

Re: Hot Potatoes in Moodle 2

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
That's what I figured...so many folks use it that I didn't think it would STAY gone. big grin
In reply to AL Rachels

Re: Hot Potatoes in Moodle 2

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hot Potatoes won't be ready for Moodle 2.0 so it has been taken out of the Moodle 2.0 standard installation and you will need to get it yourself as a contributed module from downloads and plugins if you want it, so I understand.